Author Topic: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme  (Read 2910 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

choochin3

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 675
  • Respect: +5
Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« on: August 02, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »
0
Hello Fellow Modelers,
Like the title sez,I need some help coming up with a paint scheme for my fictional railroad,the Cape James Terminal.
I was thinking of a Penn Central inspired scheme of black,with a jade green stripe along the cab bottom,and alongside the carbody.
Turns out I can't get white decals in the PC style.
So can youse guys help a brotha out?
Oh,these units are old Bachmann,and Atlas locos so the're going to be the test subjects.

Many Thanks,
Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »
0
That new Atlas Hudson Bay SD50 reminds me there are not too many green/gold  or green/silver combinations out there...

Where is Cape James? a lot of times schemes for shortlines are based on local or state color themes, local school/sports schemes, etc...

Another possibility is to take a couple of models of appropriate locos - from former owners - and just paintout (using Microscale trimfilm) the logos, names and just imply they will get painted someday when the rr has the funds for such an extravagance....

choochin3

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 675
  • Respect: +5
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:27:42 PM »
0
Well the CJT are my families initals,as for a timeset,I'm thinking early 70's.
Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »
0
Carl,

One thing I forgot to mention:  Ink Jet and Laser colors are transparent, but Black isn't.  So, you could have black lettering over a darker colored paint scheme. 

I like the idea of having a bunch of equipment patched out, a la PC and CR.  Good variety.

Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »
0
Cape James Terminal.Nice sounding name that has a nice ring to it.


Here's what  I picture..      

A black hood,yellow frame and pilots with yellow lettering.
--------------

I don't know why but,I also picture a Baldwin S12 as its motive power.


« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:30:55 PM by Brakie »
Larry

Summerset Ry.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9960
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:13:57 PM »
0
Keep it simple or suffer . Make color breaks at disassembly lines , like hood , cab , and sill . Ed K has a good eye , fixed up my W&LG with a red stripe . I think he had a bigger box of crayons than I did growing up . Maybe use PAINT and experiment with filling areas with various colors . Truck colors and lettering colors matter a bunch , don't backseat those decisions .


Richie Dost

choochin3

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 675
  • Respect: +5
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »
0
Thanks for all the ideas Guys!
The locos are a old Atlas FP7,a Bachmann U 20something,and maybe something else that I can patch together.
These were all freebies courtesy of fellow a$$hat Mr. Bob Bufkin.
As they sit,all are covered from top to bottom in Brunswick green,and Tuscan red.
I have almost no prior airbrushing experience so I will try to keep the paint simple.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:06:24 AM by choochin3 »
Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +144
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:08:35 AM »
0
Why not dark green with white lettering ala early P&LE GP's?

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »
0
Thanks for all the ideas Guys!
The locos are a old Atlas FP7,a Bachmann U 20something,and maybe something else that I can patch together.
These were all freebies courtesy of fellow a$$hat Mr. Bob Bufkin.
As they sit,all are covered from top to bottom in Brunswick green,and Tuscan red.
I have almost no prior airbrushing experience so I will try to keep the paint simple.

Photos?

Rossford Yard

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1201
  • Respect: +165
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:22:36 AM »
0
As a short line, why not do what they do - take whatever used loco they can from a big, paint through the reporting marks (you can use strip film decals) and add the CJT logo in big letters from some alphabet set?

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »
0
I think the Penn Central had it right.

It was an easy paint scheme to apply and to maintain.

Back then it wasn't applauded for its simplicity.  Today it would be. 

Plus I think it looks good.

choochin3

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 675
  • Respect: +5
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »
0
David,I don't have a decent camera so I can't post any pictures. :(
I spoke to Tom Mann yesterday about some custom decals,he said that he could make some in any color but white.
So,I'm thinking of a white paint dip,with a jade green stripe along the sides,with black lettering.
What do you guys think?
Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.

Roger Holmes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1270
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +738
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
0
If you aren't handy with the airbrush or just don't want to bother getting it out and cleaning afterwards,  check out colors available in spray cans--particularily from Tamiya.  For my Milwaukee Road paint jobs I have to use the airbrush for the orange but use Tamiya semi-glass black and Tamiya maroon for the rest of the job. The semi-gloss black especially looks like factory paint when dry.

Testors Model Masters also has some very useful colors.

My $ .02.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26105
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11594
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »
0
I'd avoid white.

There were very few white based schemes out there, for a reason.

Orange, yellow, gray were much more common.

Back when I was doing a freelance thing, I used this:


Notice how it uses "natural" boundries and places all text on a light colored background (so I could make decals).

Later I tried this variation, but found it impractical because of the light text on a dark background:


And still later there was this:


Which would've worked ok too, I guess, because the name is a dark color on a light color, and the numbers could come from stock sets. The downside there, though, is that you'd want to try and match the blue in the decal to the blue in the paint, which would be tough. Also, the long paint line would be a pain.

All those drawings came from http://paintshop.railfan.net/ which hasn't changed a lick in 10 years.

choochin3

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 675
  • Respect: +5
Re: Help Me Choose A Paint Scheme
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »
0
Ok,I think I've figured it out.
Jade green body,white stripe,black lettering.With a black PC inspired CJT logo on the nose.
Whadoya think?
Carl T.
President of the Cape James Terminal Lines.