0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
allow for some amount of switching, and be easy to build and maintain.
I think plan #3 is the best.
Quote from: MichaelWinicki on July 16, 2010, 03:27:47 PMI think plan #3 is the best.how would you deal with the area in the upper left corner?
Quote from: asciibaron on July 16, 2010, 03:28:24 PMQuote from: MichaelWinicki on July 16, 2010, 03:27:47 PMI think plan #3 is the best.how would you deal with the area in the upper left corner? Just rugged terrain. Tunnel markings are not set in stone; I'd think they might suggest themselves as the area is built up. Get settled on the siding placement, add some buildings and see what seems the most natural. Perhaps the upper tunnel might not be a tunnel but a deep cut instead, for variety.
I think tunnels are so over done on layouts, anytime you can eliminate one, I say do it.
Quote from: MichaelWinicki on July 16, 2010, 03:50:31 PMI think tunnels are so over done on layouts, anytime you can eliminate one, I say do it. I cannot agree more.
Quote from: Ed Kapuscinski on July 16, 2010, 04:46:28 PMQuote from: MichaelWinicki on July 16, 2010, 03:50:31 PMI think tunnels are so over done on layouts, anytime you can eliminate one, I say do it. I cannot agree more.You guys sound like the SP. Just give em' some dynamite and...
Quote from: sirenwerks on July 16, 2010, 05:54:57 PMQuote from: Ed Kapuscinski on July 16, 2010, 04:46:28 PMQuote from: MichaelWinicki on July 16, 2010, 03:50:31 PMI think tunnels are so over done on layouts, anytime you can eliminate one, I say do it. I cannot agree more.You guys sound like the SP. Just give em' some dynamite and...LOL!Well I think that's how most railroads viewed tunnels... As something to be avoided if at all possible. I've read the histories of many of the roads here in western New York and north western/central PA and they preferred not to do tunnels because of the cost.Of course model railroaders are not burdened by such variables such as tunnel cost. ;D The result is "If a tunnel would look cool there then a tunnel it will be". I think many times what a tunnel can accomplish for a model railroad a deep cut, large stand of trees or even a scenic divider can do also.
In a railroad perfect world all railroads would all be Ntrak like. No tunnels, no grades, no bridges, no curves, just dead flat and straight. All of these features impose extra cost in construction or in operation. But these are the very things that add eye candy to model railroads. Even Ntrakkers will agree that the "plywood plains" type of module is as boring as it comes.