Author Topic: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s  (Read 7640 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »
0
Doesn't matter.  I predict that in 5 years we'll have a grand total of 6 road names and maybe 11 numbers from this.  It's an exciting announcement but, like Kato, it will go nowhere fast.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6035
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »
0
According to the March "95 MM, ~10,500 low to ~13,000 high.

2/94 RMJ states a total of high and low side 4427s production was "over 19,300". Granted, 23,500 is more than 19,300 but there's significant discrepancy between the two reliable sources. Enough to cast doubt over both figures. Perhaps the MM number includes production of the 4,475s and 4,650s?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

ednadolski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5073
  • Respect: +2094
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 11:19:47 PM »
0
It also says proper car height above the rails and photo-etched roofwalk. Nice... we have a winner here by the looks of it.

Awwright!  Thanks Joe & MT!   8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Any info on the roadnames & numbers that will be offered?   I'll have to start collecting some proto pix for weathering...

Ed

Edit:  Undecs work for me too   8)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:23:50 PM by ednadolski »

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1511
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1362
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2010, 12:06:32 AM »
0
According to the March "95 MM, ~10,500 low to ~13,000 high.

2/94 RMJ states a total of high and low side 4427s production was "over 19,300". Granted, 23,500 is more than 19,300 but there's significant discrepancy between the two reliable sources. Enough to cast doubt over both figures. Perhaps the MM number includes production of the 4,475s and 4,650s?

I went back and added up all the cars in the roster and it came to 12,156 cars.
Aaron Bearden

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »
0
There were alot more 4427's than that. I thought I read somewhere that it was over 23,000 4427's of both kinds built with the high side being the higher total. I saw the 23,000 number in the Kalmbach Freight Car book too.

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1511
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1362
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2010, 12:26:25 AM »
0
This was probably not James Kinkaid's best article.  He writes "Some 26,000 cars of both designs were built with 10,647 orders for the early design, and nearly 13,000 of the later version." ::)
Aaron Bearden

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2010, 12:52:30 AM »
0
I'll have to try and find out where I saw that Aaron. Maybe the Morning Sun Book. What Rosters were you talking about.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8945
  • Respect: +1381
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2010, 01:11:10 AM »
0
This was probably not James Kinkaid's best article.  He writes "Some 26,000 cars of both designs were built with 10,647 orders for the early design, and nearly 13,000 of the later version." ::)


'Orders' aren't the same as numbers of cars.  Also, there were split orders i.e. half to one road, half to another.


Jason

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1511
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1362
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2010, 01:20:45 AM »
0
The article includes a list of original owners, along with the road numbers, date built, lot number, lessors and number of cars of each order.
Aaron Bearden

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11873
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +939
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
0
So the early (1964-66) 4427s were low side, and high sides starting in 1966. That sound right?


sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6035
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »
0
So the early (1964-66) 4427s were low side, and high sides starting in 1966. That sound right?

That sounds right.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

JoeD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1938
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1389
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2010, 02:03:59 AM »
0
I went with the high side because it was distictive and there were a number of cars with low sides already.  This one is visually striking and even with a few thousand less than the high side, we have more roads than we can do in two lifetimes.  Also don't get too comfortable with the old way of releasing stuff.  With the runners packs we have a means to get more cars out there.  If I could justify doing sets of 8 or 12 or more, I'm sure we would do that, but I doubt the sales volume is there....but you never know!!   ;D   Maybe it could be something like the Pullmans where we have an undec that's already painted with dim data and nothing else.  That would make marking them easier..?  Lots to consider.
Right now I don't know what schemes, but next month we should be addressing that.

Cheers

Joe
MTL
in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.

Mr. G

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 202
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2010, 03:20:09 AM »
0
So, a detailed model with body-mounted couplers of a modern, widely-used prototype, with runner packs likely on the way.  This is really awesome.  I'm looking forward to these.  Thanks, Joe and MTL.
Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6188
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2010, 03:34:49 AM »
0
... Also don't get too comfortable with the old way of releasing stuff.  With the runners packs we have a means to get more cars out there.  If I could justify doing sets of 8 or 12 or more, I'm sure we would do that, but I doubt the sales volume is there....but you never know!!   ;D  ...

Hopefully you're also looking at runner packs for the heavyweights, but with four fully-lettered cars and not necessarily four cars of the same bodystyle.  That's a good way to get consists on the market at an affordable price - basically the method Kato used for the Super Chief.  For example ... instead of issuing the Great Northern RPO last year and three successive Empire Builder cars from June through August, the four cars could have been issued together as a runner pack.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: More from Chuck: MTL PS2s
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2010, 04:05:25 AM »
0
Joe, I personally don't have much use for another grain car but I will get a few anyway. This is a huge step for MTL. I hope those PD 5000 hoppers come out this good  ;D
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind