Author Topic: Construction methods for handlaid track  (Read 1218 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +698
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Construction methods for handlaid track
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
I am looking to create a layout that has 12" wide sections cantilevered from the wall about 2 feet long.  If the layout is viewed from the top, the room might look like this (the Es represent the layout attached to the wall:
______
E        |
E        |
E        / (door)
-------

Z is small enough that a shelf layout can be designed to jut out into the room without sacrificing room space or needing legs.

So I have no doubt that my 1x2 Poplar construction method that I developed last summer would work for 2 feet "deep" sections (it is just fine for a 16" deep HO layout).  But to keep the weight down as to not pull away from the wall, what can I use as a layout surface that is lightweight will still providing a surface that is stable for handlaid track?

David's Gatorboard?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Resident fafgin' icehole
  • Respect: +1634
    • DKS Home
Re: Construction methods for handlaid track
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
what can I use as a layout surface that is lightweight will still providing a surface that is stable for handlaid track?

David's Gatorboard?

It's not mine, but I haven't found anything yet that can match the light weight and rigidity of Gatorfoam. The surface is hard and durable and water resistant. Two layers of half-inch Gatorfoam laminated together are rigid enough for 3-4 feet of layout without the need for bracing (assuming you're not going to add 100 pounds of plaster scenery or something). Shelf brackets would be enough to hold it up.

This is an 18x47 layout base that's entirely self-supporting.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:35:24 PM by David K. Smith »
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

Shipsure

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Have you thought about hollow bi-fold door blanks.  I picked up a bunch of 15"x 80" blank doors from the local builders supply to do my layout on.  The only hang up is the lack of access to the underside of the track, but I figured once I figured out where I want my switches or cable runs, I can use a hole cutter on the underside where necessary.  They are lightweight and straight.  The little bit of contortion necessary to use these is acceptable.  Gator board is another good option, I used that for years as bases for all the Architectural models I built for the Mouse. 

Joe

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1985
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »
If you're looking for bifold doors, I can't sing the praises of the ReStore enough... $5 each out the door.