Author Topic: Wreck Trains and Derricks  (Read 2633 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Wreck Trains and Derricks
« on: May 14, 2010, 01:37:13 AM »
   The Topic awhile back about the InterMountain Tichy Work Trains has prompted me to post photos of my Union Pacific Wreck Train and a brief history of Paint Schemes on UP Derricks (cranes) over the years. The first pix show the wreck train that is in use on my layout. Derrick is modeled after the last one that was based in Salt Lake,a former Mo Pac diesel powered unit. Then there photos of the rest of the train. The green "Derrick Service" baggage car is marked for one that was in Salt Lake during the transition from Silver Paint to the current Green. It is a Con Cor car. The water tank is a converted toy train car, the bunk and tool cars are Demi Trains (now Tichy) kits. The caboose stock Intermointain Centrailia. The derrick history pix will be in the following post. Nate Goodman (Nato).Salt                                                             Lake,Utah.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:14:56 PM by John »

Nato

• Crew
Re: Wreck Trains and Derricks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:00:46 AM »
  Now for a very brief histort of paint schemes on Union Pacific Derrick's (cranes). The models are all ole Arnold Rapido 200 Ton steam derricks. First Pix UP derrick's were black with white markings ubtill the early 1950's. Athearn's operating HO crane in UP and the non operating Rapido car featured a red cab, never used by the road,but with correct style markings and numbers like on my correct black car. Second Pix in the 1950's derrick colors were changed to aluminum/silver to match MOW cars. My model is incorrect as the black markings should match the silver/white ones on the black model,but I had an already silver-gray painted Revell Rapido Frisco car so I simply covered the Frisco logo and silver painted the trucks. Third Pix shows the DK green paint scheme with red trim used in the 1980's to early 90's period. My model copies an exact 200 ton derrick that was based ibn Salt Lake,later it went o Los Vegas and a similer derrick briefly came here,before the newer silver one. By the 1980's all the steam derrick's had been converted yo diesel. The Bachmann working model crane (derrick on the UP) looks slightly too big to me and the yellow paint scheme is incorrect. UPdid however have one 150 Ton derrick stationed for many years at Pullman Junction in Denver. It was painted in the passenger car and diesel locomotive scheme,yellow, gray,red striping, silver trucks and even had a car name applyed like passenger cars "Aunt Peachy" This crane is now preserved at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver. Nate Goodman (Nato).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:17:37 PM by John »

Nato

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:04:28 AM »
   Somehow I managed to post two Pix of the Black and not the Silver one so here is a shot.                    Nate Goodman (Nato).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:18:26 PM by John »

ljudice

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
Very nice!!!   

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »
Nice work!!! I'm working on an old Dimi-Trains wrecker (original maker of the Tichy crane). I plan to add a stack for a steam version, and a side curtain.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »
I love wreck trains , great work . Some of my MOW can be viewed in my Picasa under UP / W&LG / Caseys Scenic

Richie Dost