Author Topic: Best N scale freight car of all time?  (Read 5620 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +475
Best N scale freight car of all time?
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
I was thinking this afternoon about all the great new freight cars that appeared in the last year. The ESM PRR mill gon, BLMA's awsome PS covered hopper, Athearns equally impressive ACF two bay centerflow. Atlas has had some really great models with their 20 and 25K gallon tanks.

So, with all the freight cars we have available to us, what do you think is the most impressive? For me, I feel it is a tie between the Atlas Trinity 17K corn syrup cars and their Pressure-Aid centerflow. Both models brought new manufacturing techniques and materials. The Trinity just looks perfect while the Centerflow was among the first to have fine scale handrails, ladders, etched details and plumbing and achived a level of detail they have yet to surpass (compare the end steps against the newer plastics hoppers and you may notice the newer cars actually have THICKER handrails!.
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Best N scale freight car of all time?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:45:36 PM »
If by "all time," do you mean all cars and their impact in their respective eras?  If that's the guideline by which to judge, I would say the MTL nee-Kadee 40' PS1 SD Boxcar is hands-down the "best" of all time.  That model debuted in 1972 and is the foundation for all the high-quality N scale freight equipment that followed, even though it took the industry 30 years overall to reach the potential, and the MTL car still holds its own among today's tooling.

Regarding the best of the 21st century, that's a tough call, as from all quarters there is a steady stream of quality pieces hitting the market these days.  Personally I love the Atlas USRA Rebuilts and the `32 ARA boxcars, along with the IMRC Pfaulder milk cars - all three models not thought of at first when considering the best, but they all fit in perfectly with my region and era.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:00:33 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ljudice

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:04:40 PM »
Red Caboose autoracks....    But I agree that the Corn Syrup tanks for some reason are just about the most perfect looking model out there.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
At the risk of getting a good bashing, I'm going with Intermountain's cylindrical covered hopper. To me it's just such an iconic Canadian car and is the backbone of my fleet. You could not model Canadian railroading over the last forty years (for the most part, not too popular on the NFLD or on the QNS&L or QCM) without them. They were also my first exposure to etched roofwalks and separate grab irons.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +538
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »
I gotta go with the RC auto rack too.  But I agree the MT tooling was years ahead of it's time.  Other favorites: IM 5161, Atlas 5701/5800, Atlas corn syrup tanker,  BLMA spine cars...  ::)  But I'm just sticking to recent models of modern prototypes (except MT). 

The Golden Age of N Scale.   :D

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1132
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »
That Bachmann car with the missile on it.  Way cool.  In fact, cooler than cool.  I mean, come on.  A MISSILE.  Too awesome.  (You know you have one!)

Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:21:20 AM »
Great questions and I am sure for most it will be the one most needed to fill out their fleet.  We can be thankful for the variety we now have!

In broader terms, the MT with MT couplers standard would be one, as would the first covered hoppers with metal roof walks, rather than the thick plastic roof walks. 

When those came out, to paraphrase our VP, most of us said "These aren't just ordinary freight cars, these are big XXXXing deals!" ;D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +687
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:44:08 AM »
If by "all time," do you mean all cars and their impact in their respective eras?  If that's the guideline by which to judge, I would say the MTL nee-Kadee 40' PS1 SD Boxcar is hands-down the "best" of all time.  That model debuted in 1972 and is the foundation for all the high-quality N scale freight equipment that followed, even though it took the industry 30 years overall to reach the potential, and the MTL car still holds its own among today's tooling.

I agree , it is the one type greater volume of my roster . The game changer , and in its earlier days it WAS the Cadillac of N scale , no slouch today either .

Allentown Hump

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:53:15 AM »

End of discussion...
A-Town Hump

"I believe the technical term for you would be 'a$$hat extraordinaire'."

ljudice

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »
FEMA prison car, cleverly disguised as another Food Fair stock car...

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
Personal Favorite: Atlas Coalveyor
Best 10yr+ Tooling: IMRC Covered Hoppers
Car I think is currently "Best N Scale Freight Car of All Time":BLMA PS-4000
Car that will most certainly displace my current "B-N-S-F-C-O-A-T" in a matter of weeks: BLMA RAF53C Spine Car
Honorable Mentions: Atlas Pressuraide LO, Atlas 57xx/58xx Plastics LO's, Any Atlas Tank Car in the past 10 years, Atlas Thrall Gons, Athearn PS2-2600, Athearn Ethanol tank car, IMRC 60ft Farm Implement Flat, Exactrail PS-4000, Exactrail PC&F Boxcars, Deluxe Maxi-III's, Trainworx Quad Hoppers, FVM 7-Post Boxcars, FVM FMC Boxcars, Red Caboose Autoracks, Red Caboose Centerbeams, Red Caboose Coil Cars
*Selections based on cars that I own.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »
10-15 years ago, this would have been a more limited discussion, infancy of the internet notwithstanding.

We've come a long way, baby.

Although I don't employ it, I'll stretch the theme by inserting Atlas code 55. Please no debate on that. We've done that elsewhere.

MichaelT

• Crew
  • HCD module mania!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »
No question; this is the best N scale freight car of all time!!

Little Puddy!!
Jesus is my engineer! :)

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
DRD,

Two Exact Rail cars on the list and the new gons aren't one of them? Tsk tsk!

I would add an honorable mention of whatever the first non Con Cor caboose was.  I know MT had a few, with the first being wooden cabeese I couldn't use.  I guess it would be the Atlas wide vision cabs with MT couplers, too! 

It seemed like a long time before we had good cabeese in N so the mention is based on overall need, and not necessarily quality of the car.  But, they were a BIG improvement in caboose quality.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
Jeff,

I did intend to put the Exactrail 3564 gon on there but I couldn't remember the cf off the top of my head and they have more than one gon.  But, didn't see it on your list either!

Doug
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.