Author Topic: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer  (Read 4610 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
0
Any idea what they weigh as a finished model?

Frank

Nice and havy - I don't have a scale but they weigh more than a like sized plastic car - they track well on MT trucks and metal wheels.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 04:04:38 PM »
0
I like what GHQ is doing, the whole boutique model idea, and I hope they continue it but I'm a bit confused by this model. The drawings and photos that are clear enough to tell, that I have seen, show this car with riveted sides, but the GHQ model has what looks like two closely aligned score lines on the car side to represent what should be the rivet line. Am I missing something? Is that design realistic and I just can't find a pic of the proto? Or was this a compromise?

I wanted to buy a couple of these but the rivets and the molded on ladders are keeping me from doing so. Rivets I could add but I think I'd rather just kitbash a couple, and probably plug door versions while I am at it.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
0
I like what GHQ is doing, the whole boutique model idea, and I hope they continue it but I'm a bit confused by this model. The drawings and photos that are clear enough to tell, that I have seen, show this car with riveted sides, but the GHQ model has what looks like two closely aligned score lines on the car side to represent what should be the rivet line. Am I missing something? Is that design realistic and I just can't find a pic of the proto? Or was this a compromise?

I wanted to buy a couple of these but the rivets and the molded on ladders are keeping me from doing so. Rivets I could add but I think I'd rather just kitbash a couple, and probably plug door versions while I am at it.





I'd say rivets too..but I don't let that bother me too much.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:29:45 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
0
For those of you expecting True Line to follow up their HO release in N scale I would advise you not to hold your breath. True Line hasn't followed up their first paper boxcar run yet; and, and based on what I have been told by a couple of LHS owners who are in contact with them; there is a distinct impression that N scale has left them somewhat cold.....

With regard to converting the CN car to CPR/PGE you would have three major challenges; the plug door (which could be overcome with some clever bashing), the panel sizes are different so scribing and adding rivets is needed and the hatch seating is different, although that might not be a game breaker for some.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

FrankCampagna

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 999
  • Respect: 0
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
0
You can still find RS-10's and RS-18's in stores from years ago.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 05:50:23 PM »
0
You can still find RS-10's and RS-18's in stores from years ago.

Frank

...now those they did a great job on over all (notwithstanding the fuel tanks)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11876
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 08:44:48 PM »
0
For those of you expecting True Line to follow up their HO release in N scale I would advise you not to hold your breath. True Line hasn't followed up their first paper boxcar run yet; and, and based on what I have been told by a couple of LHS owners who are in contact with them; there is a distinct impression that N scale has left them somewhat cold.....

Could be due to the excessive screw-ups on the newspaper boxes? Did they ever fully acknowledge this?


Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
0
For those of you expecting True Line to follow up their HO release in N scale I would advise you not to hold your breath. True Line hasn't followed up their first paper boxcar run yet; and, and based on what I have been told by a couple of LHS owners who are in contact with them; there is a distinct impression that N scale has left them somewhat cold.....

Could be due to the excessive screw-ups on the newspaper boxes? Did they ever fully acknowledge this?

Yes: eventually they did. They fessed up that the people that they had checking and verifying stuff didn't get it right and offered replacement shells. The owner of Hobbycraft Canada is NOT a train guy by his own admission - more into cars and aircraft so he depends on outside experts. That said; guys like Tim Horton and others have volunteered their knowledge and at least some of the time it hasn't been factored int the equasion.

I think they are just not knowledgable with N scale, thus may be a bit gun shy....???
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 01:36:32 AM »
0
I just e-mailed Darren asking about the new run of newsprints along with the possibility of an N scale MP36... we'll see what he says.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 02:18:17 AM »
0
The second run of newsprint cars were expected this summer and based on emails from Darren, I would expect to see them soon.  They may very well have been delayed by recent events in China.  They will have the corrected door track, and we will see the flush door version as well.  Greg Kennelly and I were heavily involved with preparation of the PGE and BCR versions, and we have also assisted with the HO Scale slab side hoppers and eight hatch reefers.  Based on how well the slab sides turned out, I am hopeful that the newsprint cars will turn out equally well.  If the factory follows the artwork provided, they will be fine.

Like Rapido, they are relatively new to N Scale and sales of previous items have been hurt by serious accuracy issues with the models.  It has taken time for TLT to connect with and trust modellers who are in a position to provide correct information for the artwork.  Darren is keen to get the models right, but as Puddington said, he is not coming from a model train background and knows that there is much to learn.  Last November he came all the way out to Vancouver for our fall show and it was great to meet him and learn about their operation.  I wish them well - they have a lot of exciting projects on their list of things to do.


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 05:14:06 AM »
0
Tim, any word on if they got the right numbers for the CN cars? Last run they used numbers from incorrect phases.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »
0
If Tim's optimistic then I would be too..... we need as many n scale mfg's as possible.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »
0
I got a reply from TLT:
Quote
Hi Daniel,

       Thanks for your interest in our upcoming HO scale MP36/40 project.  We have been talking about the possibility of doing the MP36 in N scale, but are still trying to get a feel of how well they will be received.  The way it stands right now, they MAY be done.  Regarding our boxcars and replacement shells, we are awaiting final proofs (should be any day) from the factory before we give the go ahead for full scale production.  Please check in VERY soon, and I will pass on whatever updates I may have.

   Cheers,  Mark

 

mark@hobbycraft.com

 
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 01:25:35 AM »
0
Daniel:

I was not involved with the CN cars so I am not able to comment on them.  I would encourage you to mention this issue to them - if they are still at the proof stage there might be time to fix it.  They are dependent on having someone knowledgeable to tell them if there is an issue.

From the reply you received it sounds like we are not going to see these for a while yet.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: GHQ CN 8 Hatch Reefer
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:14 AM »
0
Daniel:

I was not involved with the CN cars so I am not able to comment on them.  I would encourage you to mention this issue to them - if they are still at the proof stage there might be time to fix it.  They are dependent on having someone knowledgeable to tell them if there is an issue.

From the reply you received it sounds like we are not going to see these for a while yet.

Tim


When the original cars came out I summerized, in detail the issues and e-mailed Darren; including the CN road number issues and the correct series. I would hope that they will make the required changes.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!