Author Topic: Thanks a lot, BLMA and Athearn  (Read 2813 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Thanks a lot, BLMA and Athearn
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »
Looking at some new models from BLMA and Athearns, the rest of my fleet is looking pretty poor. It looks like I will need a third round of upgrades for my freight car fleet. I plan on adding FVM wheels and body mounting couplers to my 500 cars.

This is not the first upgrade. In 2001 i converted everything with a rapido to MTL trucks. In 2004, I upgraded my wheels to MTL low profiles. BLMA wheels look so good, the standard plastic ones just stand out.

I did a little testing today. FVM 36" wheelsets for Atlas will not work in their new underslung 100T trucks. I did upgrade a Huberts 52' gon to 100T atlas trucks and body mounted couplers. I lowered the body,and the standard 1015 coupler would no longer fit. I modified the Accumate coupler from the truck and glued it to the body. This seems to work well, but I HATE gluing couplers in place. Asside from the MTL 70T trucks, these are really nice models. I should have picked up more when they were around.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
Re: Thanks a lot, BLMA and Athearn
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »
Thanks Dan!  We've got another truck style in the works.......and......more.....    ;)
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »
Craig... two things:

1) The PS2-4000CD car (just got a few) are fantastic, just fantastic! Good job, sir, good job.

2) You really need to do your trucks in bulk packs (10 pair, 25 pair, 50 pair) with bulk pricing . They are really, really nice, but pricey for those of us with more than 1000 car fleets. Was playing around with them on different cars and it's amazing how they lower the car without any effort to the modeler. Again, nice when were talking large fleets.

Anyone want to place bets that Craig is working on a coupler of his own???

ljudice

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
It would be great to have a series of trucks that lower "anything" but with truck mounted couplers for those of us who don't want to mess with things...

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:21:16 PM »
A few thoughts, now that I have Craig's ear:
1: Bulk packs are a must.

2. We really need truck kingpins with the trucks. I know there are many sizes out there, but the MTL 2 size route looks like the best solution. I would make the pin slightly shorter than normal. This would eliminate prolems with flat cars and gondolas, but other cars would be unaffected.

3. Sell the wheels seperatly, in large bulk packs. I like them a bit more than FVM wheels. They seem to have a thinner profile... oh and the rear detail. Your current ones seem to fit MTL trucks well, which I would need a lot of.

4. Any chance of getting a BLMA coupler? It would be great to have a low profile body mount coupler for those tight spaces like flats and gondolas. MTL's 1015 just doesn't cut it. A SMALLER coupler with reverse draft angle fould be perfect.

Thanks again for such a great product. I just increased my pre-orders for the spine car and TOFC flats.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:02:40 AM »
I hear you all loud and clear on every point.  If there is one thing I can do with ease, it's listen and act on the advice... 

Points taken.  Patience....
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:54:11 AM »
If there is one thing I can do with ease... 

You mean other than bugging the crap out of me to work :P

bicknell

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:38:49 AM »
Points taken.  Patience....

But Craig, we're all little Veruca Salts!  I WANT IT NOW DADDY!   :D

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »
Just a thought for you Craig:  any chance of picking up any of the tooling from the (evidently now-defunct) Sunrise Enterprises?   I am so hurting for some of the cast metal diesel detail parts that SRE used to make and are no longer available, like ditch lights, brake cylinders, etc.

Obviously, some cast parts like the MU hoses you've already obsoleted, so no point in doing anything with those.

Ed

2-8-8-0

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:20:03 AM »
bulk packs of wheels would be incredible, i have 50 or so cars that need them, and that number will double this year (small number compared to some, but thats still 400 axles!!)
Just say no to dummy couplers.

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
Just a thought for you Craig:  any chance of picking up any of the tooling from the (evidently now-defunct) Sunrise Enterprises?   I am so hurting for some of the cast metal diesel detail parts that SRE used to make and are no longer available, like ditch lights, brake cylinders, etc.

Obviously, some cast parts like the MU hoses you've already obsoleted, so no point in doing anything with those.

Ed

What he said. :)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
Craig:

What's the chance of developing "scale" ground throws for N and HO. N works well in HO, so maybe
Z scale or higher for N? Look at Dave Vollmer's superb Conrail Enola engine house scene and the
Caboose Industries monsters in the way. Oh no - there goes Tokyo - Godzilla turnout controls....
I would pay more than CI's average 250-350 price for these. 4-5 bucks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:29:22 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
Hotness:

Can't wait!!! Looking good Craig.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
Really?  Really?. The ground throw thing again?  I know already.  I've already said I will replace them.  But after wiring up 15 of those mofos I'm not doing it soon.  So get over it!
 ;D

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 05:06:12 PM »
Really?  Really?. The ground throw thing again?  I know already.  I've already said I will replace them.  But after wiring up 15 of those mofos I'm not doing it soon.  So get over it!
 ;D

LOL!

If nothing else Dave you've convinced me not to use them.  ;D

I'm thinking about powering the frogs in my yard and I was considering the CI's... But seeing them on Spook's layout and yours... Well...

But on top of that it sounds like they are a bear to wire.

I kind of like Lee's idea with the mini DPST switches, but even those have some visual issues.