Author Topic: Think this is a good starting point?  (Read 2557 times)

2-8-8-0

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Think this is a good starting point?
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »
Looks to me like the boiler and cab from this (and the tender. OFC!)

are a pretty good match to this

Im thinking of attempting to mate the boiler/cab/firebox of the 4-8-2 to the mechanism of a kato 2-8-2. Would like to have a K-3 for my collection (need some other cosmetics, of course) but the C&Os 2-8-2s seem to have a long and lanky look to them (a lot like the 4-8-2s). Little bit more taper in the barrel of the 2-8-2, wonder how I could replicate that. Anyone have dimensions of OAL of the boiler of both the J-3 and the K-3, see how close they actually were (and hopefully are, model-wise).

Bouncing ideas off y'all,

Tim

Thoughts?
Just say no to dummy couplers.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Think this is a good starting point?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:00:55 PM »
Looks
reasonably close but will need a lot of the appliances moved around.  Mostly the cylinders look very small compred to the prototype loco.  Similar to remodeling a kitchen, stove over there, move the dishwasher and fridge paint it up and polish the brightworks.  Could be a 100+ hour project, but it looks like it is a convincing overall size with those few changes...
Support fine modeling

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +3204
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »

It'll never work... you're doomed...

Squidward
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +604
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:16:33 AM »
Fair warning, the boiler on the Heavy Mountain is metal. Not a fun material to kitbash with.

Here is ConCor's attempt, with the wrong paint on it....

Not horrible all in all. I plan to put the Bachmann tender behind this one and call it a day. The fun part will be finding the delta trailing truck, at least until the next batch of loco's announced by Model Power arrives. MP is sold out of the delta trailers at this time. If you can pick up one of the undec Pacific's or Mikado's, the trailing truck comes with it. They come with all the options available for the loco in the box. Certain decorated versions also come with the delta truck.
Tony Hines

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:59:32 AM »
O! What is this loco called? Is it their normal 2-8-2 with a few C&O details? Is there a certain roadname to look for? Thats a nice enough loco, and it helps me with my well-known tender overabundance.

Weathered and with the right roadname, that fits my "close enough" especially as you said with the trailing truck. And its definately easier than my thought!

Tim

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:44 AM »
If it was me, I'd probably start with the Kato Mikado and add the vandy tender to it. The drivers on the ConCor peice are to small IMO and once you add that Spectrum tender to it, it'll dwarf the loco as well. You'd really only need to relocate the headlight, and add Pumps to the smokebox face.

The S.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:22:32 AM »
Looks like the front end of that loco is setting way high compared to the cab.l

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +604
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:05 AM »
The loco is sold as a Heavy Mikado. It is the Heavy Pacific shell, on the Mikado frame. It was sold with both the B&O Vanderbuilt and the C&O Berkshire tender behind it. I believe it came in a number of roads, including GN but not including B&O or C&O.

That loco is untouched from the day I got it. It's one of those projects that isn't high on the list. I don't think it has been out of it's box in 2 years. I have one of the Kato Mikado frames from the blowout sale that may go under the shell. As far as the tender dwarfing the loco, the Bachmann is roughly the same size as Concor's B&O vandy that is on the loco now.

I'm a B&O guy so the C&O stuff waits till I get bored or frustrated with other projects. I already have more correct C&O that came that way out of the box. The B&O equipment needs to catch up.
Tony Hines

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +389
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
The fun part will be finding the delta trailing truck, at least until the next batch of loco's announced by Model Power arrives.

I have a MP Pacific that I am bashing to represent an N&W E2a. IIRC, I won't need the Delta.

Mark

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
I could use it, if you would like to sell it or trade it for something? I think ill do the concor engine for now (advantage, cheap) and maybe figure out how hard it would be to modify a kato one. Concor ones are the right price at least!

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +957
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »
Why not make a resin casting of the Bachmann boiler? It should be much easier to work worth.
Giving me love
All on your canvas
All of the girls
All on the mattress

Lock the door
Dim the lights
Bottoms up
I'm in love
And you too

You're the best I can do
You're the best I can do
You're the...
You're the...

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 11:39:19 PM »
Resin casting? Forgive my ignorance but what is that please?