Author Topic: Foobie and their effect on production  (Read 10049 times)

BN1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Re: Foobie and their effect on production
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »
  Add Micro Trains, Intermountain & Red Caboose, they ended up doing the same PFE R4-23 Ice Reefer.  They actually all announced it at the manufactures breakfest at the NSC convention in Portland in 1994 as I recall from being there.

How about this as a Stand In;  Eastern Seaboard Models is doing the Magor / PC&F XIH (heated / insulated boxcar) as it turns out the CPR also had cars that are very similar.  They were made by National Steel Car and depending on the car had 6, 8 & 9 foot plug doors, the charcoal heater is very similar and these cars had the same ventilating mechanisms.  I think its very close to the CPR version, but not perfect.  It could be done in the classic CPR Block lettering, Script, CP Rail and that Mandarin Orange paint scheme as used by Micro Trains on their PS1 Plug door boxcar.....  I actually kitbashed about 4 of these from some surplus Micro Trains GN Big Sky Blue Plug door boxcars and number of years ago.....

So does Eastern Seaboard Models go ahead and ask for reservations, hopefully make some sales with what they already have?  I would buy a few as they would be closer that my kitbash effort, but would Puddington?

Bryan if your interested I can send you what I have on these boxcars. --Brian

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
 Add Micro Trains, Intermountain & Red Caboose, they ended up doing the same PFE R4-23 Ice Reefer.  They actually all announced it at the manufactures breakfest at the NSC convention in Portland in 1994 as I recall from being there.

How about this as a Stand In;  Eastern Seaboard Models is doing the Magor / PC&F XIH (heated / insulated boxcar) as it turns out the CPR also had cars that are very similar.  They were made by National Steel Car and depending on the car had 6, 8 & 9 foot plug doors, the charcoal heater is very similar and these cars had the same ventilating mechanisms.  I think its very close to the CPR version, but not perfect.  It could be done in the classic CPR Block lettering, Script, CP Rail and that Mandarin Orange paint scheme as used by Micro Trains on their PS1 Plug door boxcar.....  I actually kitbashed about 4 of these from some surplus Micro Trains GN Big Sky Blue Plug door boxcars and number of years ago.....

So does Eastern Seaboard Models go ahead and ask for reservations, hopefully make some sales with what they already have?  I would buy a few as they would be closer that my kitbash effort, but would Puddington?

Bryan if your interested I can send you what I have on these boxcars. --Brian

The short answer is "yes" Puddington is very interested. The aforementioned car is close to the Canadian Pacific cars - it's not 100% acurate, maybe 85% - but that is quite fine with me. I am not at all opposed to "stand in's", especially when they more then capture the basic and obvious spotting features. Would I like models of the NSC prototypes - you bet, but I'm not going to get them any time soonMaybe modeling the CPR makes me more accepting of stand in's as there are fewer chances that US based firms will focus on Canadian models and there are precious few Canadian suppliers out there that are stepping up.

Oddly enough, I have spent almost six years seriously kitbashing and scratchbuilding as close to prototypical Canadian Pacific and Canadian National passenger cars because, IMHO, "stand in's" for passenger cars are far more obvious and bothersome.....the reverse I suspect for many that have been content to run the "King of Foobies" - the 1990's Kato four pack and six pack sets of total foob's..... because they were really good looking and good quality cars.....

Ah, y'all know us canucks are a strange bunch eh ?  ??? ???
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1095
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »
Add Micro Trains, Intermountain & Red Caboose, they ended up doing the same PFE R4-23 Ice Reefer.  They actually all announced it at the manufactures breakfest at the NSC convention in Portland in 1994 as I recall from being there...

They all announced PFE ice reefers, but to be fair they were different classes.  MTL is R-40-10, IRMC is R-40-23 and I don't remember what the Precision Masters car is but I don't recall it being one of those two.  The modern PFE mechanical reefers from CC, RC, ATH and IMRC all are different classes albeit similar ones, more similar than the 40' ice reefers are.

I thought the CP mandarin orange scheme is a one-of-a-kind car.  Lots of unique paint masks required that would drive the MSRP through the roof, that could only be used once since it is a one-of.  The others are viable even though the heater is in the wrong place and the height is off by about a foot or so.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »

I thought the CP mandarin orange scheme is a one-of-a-kind car.  Lots of unique paint masks required that would drive the MSRP through the roof, that could only be used once since it is a one-of.  The others are viable even though the heater is in the wrong place and the height is off by about a foot or so.

It was a one of a kind promotion.... and decals are available to "do it yourself"................
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

BN1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »
Your right the Mandarin Orange painted car was one of a kind.  But the CPR had hundreds of their heated / ventilated boxcars which are very close to what Eastern Seaboard Models has done in the Magor / PC&F XIH boxcars, they would make a good Stand In.  As for me I normally don't buy the one of a kind paint schemes as I think they tend to stand out and to many cars like the Madarin Orange boxcar diminish what I would expect to see at a rail yard.  So my question is would the the Magor / PC&F XIH boxcar be an acceptable stand in for what the CPR used?  I for one would buy some, would you?

--Brian

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2010, 10:15:22 AM »
Your right the Mandarin Orange painted car was one of a kind.  But the CPR had hundreds of their heated / ventilated boxcars which are very close to what Eastern Seaboard Models has done in the Magor / PC&F XIH boxcars, they would make a good Stand In.  As for me I normally don't buy the one of a kind paint schemes as I think they tend to stand out and to many cars like the Madarin Orange boxcar diminish what I would expect to see at a rail yard.  So my question is would the the Magor / PC&F XIH boxcar be an acceptable stand in for what the CPR used?  I for one would buy some, would you?

--Brian

I can live with the slight height differential; I can live with the heater being mis positionsed and I will be in for a 10 pack of the stacked logo cars if, and when they are offered. I'd even add one or two action yellows as well..... 90% plus accurate to me is 100% ok.