Author Topic: So I want to build a Business Train......  (Read 3741 times)

Atlanticflier

So I want to build a Business Train......
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »
So I want to build a Business Train...... for my Freelanced Alabama Gulf Railway, era late 1980s'. I'd like to use an E7 or E8 unit as lead.
Do  I plate over the side window openings ? What exterior upgrades would I add to the loco? I suppose an A/C unit on roof.... I need suggestions !

I plan to have a generator car built from a baggage (SBD prototype) and some sort of office cars/inspection cars, maybe three ?

RR use would be for Special Customers trips/ excersions and ceromonies, maybe inspections.
Any ideas or suggestions ?

Steven

pfs

• Crew
  • HPI 1975-?
  • Respect: +5
Re: So I want to build a Business Train......
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 06:16:31 PM »
I do not have any of your answers/suggestions, but think this is a cool idea.

Freighttrain

• Crew
  • Fine collector of Worthless junk!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »
Is your railroad all business or is the CEO a historian at heart?That is the first thing you need to set in stone.If pure business then what would the railroad do.If a the CEO is a railroad history buff then I would deduce the locomotive and cars would be slightly modified to do the job and meet FRA standards but retain as many of the original features as possible.You could do a combo deal.Say the Engines were built under one CEO that was a buff but the cars were built under another CEO that was a hard core make every penny I can and forget the historic value of everything.Kinda like NS!.They pulled the business trains and inspection trains with Geeps after Steam Nazi guy got on there but now the new guy is a history buff of sorts and they are pulled by a beautiful set of F units.
M35A2-X3
M52
F350-X2
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ranger STX
Southern MT19
Aircraft Tug Tractor
More scales than Walthers carries!
T,N,TT,HO,S,O27,G,1/8th

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5427
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »
Kato made a nice corrugated tail car...

Here's Sizemore's taking a spin on the Western Maryland behind my Laurel Valley business car.

This car demonstrates the LRV's affiliation with the WM, sharing a paint scheme with WM1700.

The Laurel Valley, my austere Penn Central era short line, used a handful of old heavyweights for it's OCS.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:19:50 PM »
I'd go with the E8. E7s would be MUCH more rare.

I'd also plate over the windows, but then again, I'm a Conrail guy...

The AC is a good call, as are ditchlights (I like the way they look on Es, it's weird).

Also, you'd probably have an HEP unit installed instead of the steam generators. That means you'd have a muffler or two up there and some side access doors.

Take a look here for what CR did to theirs: http://thecrhs.org/node/11177

Note that 4022 still had the steam generator, while the other two units had HEP.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5518
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »
I dunno 4022 looks pretty good WITH windows:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=905087
 :P

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »
I know for myself it's pretty easy based on my time period, but in your case it might be beneficial to ask yourself the capacity of your road... if it's a smaller outfit w/o excursion service they might rent private varnish for excursion or business trains while only having one real business car. In effect this gives you a little variety. Also consider what's available at the time, being the 80's you may find used commuter equipment versus a multitude of heavyweight or later lightweight cars. I know I made that copy of the HO KOBO car because it struck my fancy and the paint scheme fit my era so I took a little proto/freelance license with it. I have some fodder ROWA C&O coaches that will get the Circus treatment to recreate the 1700 on the WM and a mate to the KOBO car. Anyway just some thoughts to consider!

The S.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5427
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »
I want a WM 1700... What are you going to letter it with?  Roland to the rescue?  (order two sets.)

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »
I want a WM 1700... What are you going to letter it with?  Roland to the rescue?  (order two sets.)

Lee

LOL pretty much :) I also want to get the C&O/BYR stuff out the door too.

The S.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »
I'd go with the E8. E7s would be MUCH more rare.

I'd also plate over the windows, but then again, I'm a Conrail guy...

The AC is a good call, as are ditchlights (I like the way they look on Es, it's weird).

Was anyone using ditch lights in the 1980s?

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »

Lee

We should lobby IM to do this car. I think a pretty solid business case could be developed for it (since they have a pretty dang close car).

Mark

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:34 AM »
I would go with the E8's… for no particular reason…. other than I like em… they are big, powerful, and just "have the look" IMO.

however, the UP is using steam today, and NS is using the old MARC F's...   FWIW.. not sure what Kansas and Burlington are  using… or CSX for that matter… but I don't intend to sidetrack the thread.  So using anything is probably prototypical somewhere.

i will also tell you, that using E's in any era (including today) is plausible... i know of about 6 that still exist in private hands (mostly) and the pluthera (did I just use that word on RW?) in the varous museums that could be pulled out in both reality (1:1) and fantasy (1:160).
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
however, the UP is using steam today,

Did they dump their E units? ???

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »

Atlanticflier

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.  This is going to be an early 1990's unit. I'm leaning towards an E7 unit, plated over side windows, a/c unit, the exhaust stacks for HEP power, antenna, rooftop strobe or warning light and assortment of details parts.  Maybe an BLI/PCM E7 with sound ?

I'm going with the idea that the ALGF located the E-7 at one of the used loco/junk dealers that was an ex-GM&O unit, so it had some strong History related to the Alabama area. Here's a pic of an GM&O E-7 in Mobile, AL.

Paint scheme is next........ The KCS has a 35% ownership in the  Alabama Gulf, as is reflected in the paint scheme:

...so, I'll have to consider that in the Business train design......

Steven