Author Topic: Ebay is full of these...  (Read 1372 times)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2412
Ebay is full of these...
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:35:50 PM »
They say they are N scale and I have seen them at swamp meets, cheap almost
prototypical freight cars and engines for around 1.99-4.99 - Can they be used for
dummys, the non-powered engines with some modifications? Has anyone ever messed
with these and who makes them and what are they for? - I actually saw a SP tank
car (gasoline service only) that could look cool in a yard, weathered and on a siding
parked.

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Ebay is full of these...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
I have one of these engines--I believe they were given away as premiums from Reader's Digest at one point, and may have been given out by other companies as well. They don't look too bad, and appear to be of accurate scale size. In fact, I believe the picture on the box is of an old Atlas release, and the shell on the toy may have been molded directly from it.

The couplers are Rapido-shaped, but mounted solidly to the body, so they don't move at all. However, they are a separate piece from the body, so removing them and inserting a "real" coupler pocket and coupler should be do-able.

The wheels are mounted toy-car-style, with a clip holding the center of the axle. They'll roll, and sit on a standard piece of N-scale track (and have reasonable flange height). However, I don't think the wheel profile would serve to keep it on the rails as part of a train.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »
Here is some information from a post on another board.  I got a couple of these myself and just gave them to my oldest to play with.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55443&SearchTerms=Got,these,my,sister
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Freighttrain

• Crew
  • Fine collector of Worthless junk!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »
Yea,they are cheap junk shelf fodder but they make good background static scenery.They have absolutly Zero operation capability.Reader digest did a history thing on railroad and made this set and a set for the Alaskan railroad.If you cut the hand rail(a scale 12" thick!) at the cab it actually looks some what decent.
M35A2-X3
M52
F350-X2
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ranger STX
Southern MT19
Aircraft Tug Tractor
More scales than Walthers carries!
T,N,TT,HO,S,O27,G,1/8th

CoalPorter

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
I have seen people bring those into a train store and ask why they won't run??!! heheehehehehe ;D ;D ;D
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain