Author Topic: Intermountain Cab Forwards  (Read 10591 times)

bobcat

Re: Intermountain Cab Forwards
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
I wonder if Matt feels a certain satisfaction that his wheels are a solution to IMs new cab forward? ;)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »
I wonder if Matt feels a certain satisfaction that his wheels are a solution to IMs new cab forward? ;)

::) ::) ::) ::)
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 09:12:21 AM »
It is indeed a great looking model:  no obvious assembly QC issues.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:17 AM »
I get my wallet raped tomorrow... $250 is a tad steep for lacking DCC and sound...not to mention an assortment of FVM wheels to make it work correctly. Wallyworld 2-8-8-2's are only 280....

:'(

The S.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 09:23:54 PM »
To be fair, I've read a lot of posts from owners that are happy with the engines as they are.  The good news regarding buyers who have experienced these minor performance issues is that some folks already have determined that the larger flanges are the problem and substituting the FVM wheelsets is a very simple cure that happens to improve the appearance as well.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2010, 12:24:12 AM »

I bet they do . Problem isolated and a cure has been already located , the fix isn't expensive , and the parts are available . This info has to be like winning the lotto for them . 

Richie Dost

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2010, 03:05:13 AM »
I wonder if Matt feels a certain satisfaction that his wheels are a solution to IMs new cab forward?

I just got this...

Slow Learner.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 06:19:56 AM »
Wonder if Matt will offer the required wheels in an updgrade pack save buying all the different sizes and only using some of them. Might not be worth his effort though.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 05:46:14 PM »
In fairness to the manufacturers - I once had a software project built entirely by a group of people in another country. Every checkpoint indicated that things were going great. When it was delivered it wasn't even close to what was specified.

It has got to be tough to do this kind of design and manufacture of a real product remotely, especially when you get into the complications of a steam locomotive.

Either could have benefited from a certified project manager. It's not rocket science.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »
It takes "attention to details"................and finishing the project/prototype 100% and not 85%

I don't know what's so hard about that "concept"
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »
Picked one up on Saturday. I got it home and threw it on the layout for test run and give it a once over. Ran it on address 00 since I had no decoder. I was shocked when I had to turn it upto "11" to get it to move at a snails pace. It ran alright, not like a Kato or Wallyworld Heritage peice, I'd put it on par with a Spectrum.

I picked up a DN143IP when I picked up the Cab Forward, but I wasnt thinking about the pin orientation...yeah mistake. I ended up running out to Moose caboose today and grabbed a TCS N12SRP, it worked out great. Throttle response was improved but doesnt match my other steam loco's with decoders. After a mild break-in I began to test the slow speed range, I noted there was a hitch in the gitty-up. The eccentric rods we're not where they should've been I corrected it by turning the eccentric to the proper place. I do have to note that it was too easy to turn the eccentric/crank-pin. It's enough to hold but I wonder about the long-term operation and if it will drift. The hitch was less, when I went in to investigate I noted many of the rods were slightly bent. The rods looked like they were manhandled by nubs-thumbs (makes me wonder if this loco is put together by hand). Once I had them all straight operation improved. While on the test run after straightening the rods, the rear truck would lock up solid. I found the side to side play in the driver closest to the steam chest would hangup on the crosshead. I ended up having to straighten the crosshead guide and tweak it a hair out.

It now runs pretty well, has a slight growl which I think will dissipate as I break it in more, I might consider throwing in some gear polish to get the gears to mesh a little smoother but satisfied at this point with the operation.

Overall the details are impressive however I'm slightly jaded in the cost vs. out of box operation (and the crappy engineering in the tender...and the need for low-pro wheels.).

The S.

mrtidypants

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 10:45:14 PM »
Picked-up three over the last week (after all I've waited 30 years...)..all ran quite well on DC right out of the box. It does take a bit of throttle to get them to move out, but top end speed is realistic. All three have pulled 30 micro-trains cars on flat track without any problem. (I use Kato unitrack)...One engine did have a wheel set on the lead truck that was out of spec, and derailed until I adjusted it. I've run each locomotive about one hour, at varying speeds, and have encountered no problems. Thought I'd add my two cents on the positive side since I've noted several negative experiences here to date...

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 02:47:31 PM »
Dumb question,  what kind of box does the cab forwarded come in?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »
The engine is in one of those plastic rectangular tubes similar to the Bachmann steamers, which is then packaged in a large box with a foam insert.  Well protected, but it will take up a lot of shelf space.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
Dumb question,  what kind of box does the cab forwarded come in?

Box is 14.5" long, 8"wide and 2" tall.