Author Topic: Intermountain Cab Forwards  (Read 10602 times)

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Intermountain Cab Forwards
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:07:38 AM »
I have been waiting these locos to hit MBK but now I'm having second thoughts after doing some research.

Check out this link for a review of the first batch:

http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/2009/121009.htm

Thoughts?

Dave

Kev1340

Re: Intermountain Cab Forwards
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:34:31 AM »
Interesting, but sadly I'm not surprised. Whilst I'm not affected directly, as I'm not in the market for these, it doesn't bode well for the SD40-2W ............

I just hope someone else makes the smart move into SD40-2's.

Cheers,

Kev

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »
That review is for the HO version, so I'm sure they'll get the N version right.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:05:59 AM »
Agreed.  A batch from the production run was airfreighted in last month ahead of the ocean shipment specifically for strenuous testing and all of the units performed flawlessly.  People should be very pleased with the N scale version.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »
Just heard from a fellow who said his N scale cab forward ran less than an hour before it suffered catastrophic failure.

DocGeoff

• Crew
  • DocGeoff in CC, TX
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »
Details, verification please! Because I have had difficulties with a Tsunami decoder doesn't mean all Tsunami's are bad. I obviously got a lemon. 
Doc,
Imagineer, Owner & Operator
of the nearly famous "No Name RR

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
Agreed.  A batch from the production run was airfreighted in last month ahead of the ocean shipment specifically for strenuous testing and all of the units performed flawlessly.  People should be very pleased with the N scale version.

Same
was said for the first tunnel motors.  That did not work out so well.  While I don't personally want/need an AC12 cab-ahead loco and have no dog in this hunt, it will be interesting to see if history repeats itself...
Support fine modeling

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »

Same
was said for the first tunnel motors.  That did not work out so well.  While I don't personally want/need an AC12 cab-ahead loco and have no dog in this hunt, it will be interesting to see if history repeats itself...

And this time we didn't even get to take part in your candlelight vigil!!   ;D
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
One of the benefits of having a test track only layout is loco functionality anemia hurts less .

Richie Dost

wbrrvp

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
I received my AC-12 a couple nights ago from my local hobby store (they ordered early direct from IM and only needed 3). The first thing you will see in the instuctions is that you need to lubricate the locomotive. You don't have to disasemble it, just need to lubricate the rod bearings and such on the outside. Inside the tender is an 8 pin NMRS plug so it's simple to install a decoder.  IM test fit a Micro-Tsunami decoder in the tender and it will fit. IM provided a mounting space for a 3/4" oval speaker and holes in the floor for air flow/sound.

Jerry
www.washingtonbeltrr.com

ljudice

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »
Do you get the feeling that N-scale was just not meant for modelling steam locomotives??

bobcat

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »
Do you get the feeling that N-scale was just not meant for modelling steam locomotives??

No

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »

I get the feeling that some N scalers are not meant for modeling steam.

Have you ever noticed the problems seem to keep coming from the same people, over and over.
Tony Hines

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »

I get the feeling that some N scalers are not meant for modeling steam.

Have you ever noticed the problems seem to keep coming from the same people, over and over.

DING DONG!!!!

The S.

ljudice

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 07:56:25 PM »
In fairness to the manufacturers - I once had a software project built entirely by a group of people in another country. Every checkpoint indicated that things were going great. When it was delivered it wasn't even close to what was specified.

It has got to be tough to do this kind of design and manufacture of a real product remotely, especially when you get into the complications of a steam locomotive.