Author Topic: Paper Mills  (Read 38960 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Paper Mills
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
Bernie .. what as the cracker for? (refinery)

CSXTer

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
Wow !!  Two great mill complexes and great information. Thanks everyone. I didn't expect to get this much information this fast. Its kind of overwhelming. I'm thinking I'm going to need more space. haha. Like I said though, I've got nothing but time. This project is probably way too big for me, being a novice and all, but i'm probably going to attempt it.

Mr. Kempinski,
  Could you elaborate a little more on how you modeled the log flume and debarker? Did you have a template or did you use photos?

Midniteflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »
Some seriously great modeling in those mills!!!!! Talking with people you alway here i would like to model that industry or that industry but i have not got the room. Looking at bernie;s Paper mill is a good example of how to compress certain thing to help on the space of the industry by using some building done as backdrop buildings.
Black & Gold Rules !!!!!!!!!!!!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
No where near as good as BKs .. but here is my paper mill module for our OneTrak layout

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
Wow !!  Two great mill complexes and great information. Thanks everyone. I didn't expect to get this much information this fast. Its kind of overwhelming. I'm thinking I'm going to need more space. haha. Like I said though, I've got nothing but time. This project is probably way too big for me, being a novice and all, but i'm probably going to attempt it.

Mr. Kempinski,
  Could you elaborate a little more on how you modeled the log flume and debarker? Did you have a template or did you use photos?

I used photos as a guide. The flume was at West Point, VA. I think they got rid of it recently.  I may have some prototype photos in my files.  The drum debarkers I went off photos I found on line.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »

In southern paper mills, the black liquor is processed. The impurities are filtered and then refined in the cracker and other devices to make turpentine, and other chemicals. The location of the mill and the type of wood used affects what they can make for by=products. I think northern mills tend to not have turpentine by products. I would have to check that. Matt Coleman's book has some of that info.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »

In southern paper mills, the black liquor is processed. The impurities are filtered and then refined in the cracker and other devices to make turpentine, and other chemicals. The location of the mill and the type of wood used affects what they can make for by=products. I think northern mills tend to not have turpentine by products. I would have to check that. Matt Coleman's book has some of that info.

Thanks .. thats so interesting .. but it makes sense .. especially since they probably use a lot of pine down there ..

MEC_FAN

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »
Here's a photo of a pulpracks being unloaded into a flume in at at Penobscot Corp in Maine.

John

MEC_FAN

I love the smell of pulpwood in the morning!!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5394
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »

My paper mill hardly attempts to follow a prototypical product flow.  I shoe-horned it into the space I had, and included tracks to support the obvious traffic that would go in and out.  There's a pulp yard that's way too small, and it's located on the other side of a main line track from a tiny de-barker.  Then there's the digester building that is too small and in the wrong place, and next to it the steam/power plant.  That's a reasonable size, and has a the requisite coal dock.  Next to that a two track fiddle yard, then a mill building where paper is manufactured.  There are no obvious connections between the buildings to tranport pulp from the digester to the mill for instance.  Maybe one day there will, but for now, not.  Across another set of mains is the outbound warehouse, which is too small, and again, totally disconnected from the mill.  Apparently there's an intricate system of underground tunnels that move the product through the process!

For me it was more important to fit in the sidings to accept the inbound and outbound cars than it was to accurately model the industry itself.  Selective compression, I think they call that.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
For me it was more important to fit in the sidings to accept the inbound and outbound cars than it was to accurately model the industry itself.  Selective compression, I think they call that

After all, we are modeling RR's not paper mills or other such industries. Fidelity to prototype is good, but getting the idea across is the object. In Lee's case, his depiction allows him to "sell" the concept and switch different kinds of cars in and out. That's what we're really trying to do.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 04:25:25 PM »
I have been to some older mills that are not that dissimilar from Lee's so he's being hard on himself... and that's normally my job so stop it or I'll file a greivence.........................
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5394
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
Yes, my mill makes toilet paper tubes exclusively!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »
Yes, my mill makes toilet paper tubes exclusively!

Lee

The company slogan...

"Use our tubes for a #2".

;D

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
I can just see it now.  Some 1/160 individual using your tubes to make grain silos for his layout.