Author Topic: A little Penn Central love...  (Read 3578 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
A little Penn Central love...
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »
I weathered my new ESM Flexi-Flo hopper with a combination of washes and pastel chalks with lots of Dullcote.  Also added ACI labels:

I also was inspired by all this talk of gondolas to tackle a foobie MTL PC 50' gon.  I wanted to warm up before I tried weathering my new ESM 65' PC mill gon.  I added a COTS and ACI label per standard practice.  This was a combination of acrylic washes and pastel chalks again.

Just for giggles and grins I also tried to do a subtle fade on an old MDC Railbox car using pale yellow washes and pale yellow chalks.  I think it may be too subtle, but sometimes that's good.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:39:11 PM by Dave Vollmer »

NorfolkSouthern9708

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
Re: A little Penn Central love...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:11:27 PM »
Looks good Dave! The railbox car does look very subtle, the only hint of fading I see is the red arrows turned to more of a pink color. Did you ever think of modeling Penn Central also? On another note: Remember how I said getting you that water tower pice would take no longer than a week like two weeks ago? Well I'll make sure I get a picture of it tommorow and upload it for you.

The Donkey

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • The Donkey's Dirty Details
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
Not bad Dave-as kind of a RBOX aficionado I'd have to say you were pretty much spot on as
to fade that car. While the bottom sill of the model isn't correct for the type of car it's supposed
to represent (& I know you don't care) but it's supposed to be a Golden Tye built Railbox according
to the #, & one the types that actually faded, instead of becoming a more golden brown color.
The Golden Tyes, along with the USRM & Berwick built, have all by now mostly faded to a sickly
yellow as opposed to the ACFs, PS's, & FMCs.

So if you're shooting for your era of 1980, well you pretty much hit it!  ;D
Mitch
They're not "Crown Victorias"-they're known
as "Police Interceptors"

http://ddd.shywolfsbeads.com/index.html
http://donkey.rrpicturearchives.net

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
Thanks!  I picked up a couple of used cars, including the gon and the RBOX car just to round out my roster a bit.  I have one of the Trainman RBOX cars and that's actually a very good representation.  This one is more of a "filler."

You can probably tell from the cars in the background that I have a fairly even mix of exact prototypes and pure foobies.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:24:21 AM by Dave Vollmer »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 08:06:48 PM »
While the bottom sill of the model isn't correct for the type of car it's supposed
to represent (& I know you don't care) but it's supposed to be a Golden Tye built Railbox according
to the #

Actually the old MDC car is pretty much a dog and not accurate for _anything_. They call it a "Berwick" but the side sill is wrong and the ends and roof are Pullman-Standard. Go figure...

We had a bit of a discussion a long time ago about N scale Railbox models in this thread:

http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,13744.0.html

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:28:24 PM »
While the bottom sill of the model isn't correct for the type of car it's supposed
to the #

Actually the old MDC car is pretty much a dog and not accurate for _anything_. They call it a "Berwick" but the side sill is wrong and the ends and roof are Pullman-Standard. Go figure...

We had a bit of a discussion a long time ago about N scale Railbox models in this thread:

http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,13744.0.html

I know.  It was cheap.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:51:52 PM »
Nice colors on the gon!  Write a long description of your technique and put her on the bay! ;D

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:20:59 PM »
Nice colors on the gon!  Write a long description of your technique and put her on the bay! ;D

Thanks, Tom!

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 03:02:27 AM »
Looks good Dave.  Here's some more inspiration:

It's from Railcar Photos and was taken in '73.  I saw it and immediately thought of this thread.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:40:25 AM by GaryHinshaw »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 11:34:53 AM »
I weathered my new ESM Flexi-Flo hopper with a combination of washes and pastel chalks with lots of Dullcote.  Also added ACI labels:

Dave, did you body-mount the couplers?  If so, you can really make the car hunker down by shaving the embossed ring from the bolsters and installing 36" FVM wheelsets.  The prototype actually ran on 38" wheels, but the 36" wheels get the visual impact across quite nicely.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net