Author Topic: Z Scale Motors  (Read 2376 times)

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Z Scale Motors
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »
I have a few questions, about Z scale motors.  

Starting with the obvious, how big are the motors?

How are they compared to N scale?  Meaning are there 5-pole motors out there?

Are they powerful enough to power a single N scale car?

Is it easy to source these motors?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:10:18 PM by One of One-Sixty »
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Z Scale Motors
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:48:29 PM »
I have a few questions, about Z scale motors.  

Starting with the obvious, how big are the motors?

How are they compared to N scale?  Meaning are there 5-pole motors out there?

Are they powerful enough to power a single N scale car?

Is it easy to source these motors?

The motors vary in size and type across the product lines. North American diesels for the most part have 8mm coreless motors. These should be able to power a small N scale car.

Marklin locos all have standard pole-style motors. A few years back they switched from 3-pole to 5-pole, with the expected improvement in performance. These should be able to power a small N scale car as well. I don't have any Marklin motors on hand, so I can't provide dimensions. Someone else I'm sure can chime in. Here's a photo, for what it's worth.

I'm not sure about the availability of replacement coreless motors (they can certainly be bought new from a variety of sources), but replacement Marklin motors can be purchased from a number of online vendors, such as:

http://www.ajckids.com/TRAINS/result.asp?scale=Z&manufacturer=Marklin&cat=par&submeenuheader=1
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:52:03 PM by David K. Smith »

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:39:16 PM »
If I measured this correctly, I am looking for something roughly 2 1/2mm wide with a depth of 1mm.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »
If I measured this correctly, I am looking for something roughly 2 1/2mm wide with a depth of 1mm.

:o

Jason

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:10:43 AM »
Hmm, now I am confused, must be the sleep kicking in.  I measured a motor from a N scale Life Like engine I had laying around for scraps measurred 4mm x 1 1/2mm x 1mm (LxWxH)

The motors vary in size and type across the product lines. North American diesels for the most part have 8mm coreless motors. These should be able to power a small N scale car.

How are you getting these measurements?  Am I missing something here?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 04:27:47 AM »
The coreless motor in David's pic is 8mm dia and about 16mm long (motor body only). The Marklin is 9mm deep 12mm wide and I'd guess around 16mm long (the brushes are not part of the motor)

What you listed:
4mm x 1 1/2mm x 1mm
Is about the size of a rice grain, so yeah  :o  lol.

I use cheap ($15) digital calipers from Harbor Freight.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 06:32:01 AM »
Hmm, now I am confused, must be the sleep kicking in.  I measured a motor from a N scale Life Like engine I had laying around for scraps measurred 4mm x 1 1/2mm x 1mm (LxWxH)

How are you getting these measurements?  Am I missing something here?

Are you mixing mm with cm or something? There are no motors made (other than ones in nanotech labs) that measure 4mm x 1 1/2mm x 1mm. The smallest pager motors readily available are about 4mm diameter by 8mm long--that's what's in this photo of a T scale (1:450) commuter car.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:38:56 AM by David K. Smith »

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:10:28 PM »
Hmm, now I am confused, must be the sleep kicking in.  I measured a motor from a N scale Life Like engine I had laying around for scraps measurred 4mm x 1 1/2mm x 1mm (LxWxH)

How are you getting these measurements?  Am I missing something here?

Are you mixing mm with cm or something? There are no motors made (other than ones in nanotech labs) that measure 4mm x 1 1/2mm x 1mm. The smallest pager motors readily available are about 4mm diameter by 8mm long--that's what's in this photo of a T scale (1:450) commuter car.

Ha, I knew sleep was kicking in, I have a defective ruler, that states MM and Inches, and I normally remember that it is a misprint, but being on the road for hours on end and spending two days in the hospital visiting family with barely any sleep would do that you ya.

Yeah I am looking at Cm and not MM.