Author Topic: Z Scale Brake Wheel?  (Read 3206 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Z Scale Brake Wheel?
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:32:17 PM »
I am a visitor from the N Scale forum and am looking for a modern brake wheel to go on my Atlas N Scale C-630M.  it is considerably smaller than a freight car brake wheel and has to fit inside that vertical nook on the left side of the short hood.

Aha! I thought I would use a Z Scale brake wheel, but have learned that neither BLMA nor Gold Medal offer theirs in Z.  I have seen one from Micron Art but it is completely the wrong style ie. very old freight car style.

Are there any other options out there for a Z Scale modern brake wheel?

And best wishes to the Z Scale community - I have been impressed with what I have seen online and at shows in this scale!

Regards,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
Re: Z Scale Brake Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »
Tim,
You mention the Gold Medal Models N set... the smallest ones on there are still too big? 

Does Micro-Trains offer Z scale parts?  You could probably use the one off the modern ribside boxcars.

shamoo737

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »
Yes, you can order brake wheels from MTL. I got mine from Loren. That one thing I love about MTL. You can always get parts. ;D
John

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:39:33 PM »
Mike:

I was thinking of the brake wheel from hte modern boxcar set whic hI have on hand, and which is the same size as the Eric brass ones.  These are slightly wider than the nook in hte carbody into which they must fit.

However, your comment about "the smallest" prompted me to check their website and I see that they have a set of just brake wheels, to whic hyou are obviously referring.  I will have to find a photo of that set and check it out.

Shamoo:

I wondered if the MTL Z brake wheels were available separately - that would be about the right size as I need to drop about 25% in diameter.

Thanks for your help,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

shamoo737

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »
Tim, I order twenty of the brake wheels for my MK4D reefers. Like I said before, I order them through Loren from Ztrains and things. Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@charter.net>
John

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 03:12:18 AM »
Yeah I have some MT brake wheels as well. Some of their older cars use those old timey Nn3 wheels so I replace them with their PS2 hopper wheels. You can order any MT part, but need to go through a dealer.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:13:31 PM by Chris333 »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 07:58:27 AM »
Mike:

I was thinking of the brake wheel from hte modern boxcar set whic hI have on hand, and which is the same size as the Eric brass ones.  These are slightly wider than the nook in hte carbody into which they must fit.

However, your comment about "the smallest" prompted me to check their website and I see that they have a set of just brake wheels, to whic hyou are obviously referring.  I will have to find a photo of that set and check it out.

Thanks for your help,

Tim

Well, here's a photo...

But I swear there are small, modern looking wheels hiding under the flap of the header card.  I'll see if I can find my set tonight unless someone beats me to the punch.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »
Here's the full GMM brakewheel sheet (minus a few individual brakewheels):

Another possible source of small modern brakewheels: Kato replacement parts.

For reference (reproduced at the same size as the image above):

Tim, I order twenty of the brake wheels for my MK4D reefers. Like I said before, I order them through Loren from Ztrains and things.

That's odd, since I contacted Loren not that long ago to order these, and he said they were unavailable. I shall have to bug him again.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:17:32 PM by David K. Smith »

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 12:52:46 PM »
Thanks for the photos - those small Kato ones sure look like what I want - where can I get those from?

If the lower GMM ones are identical in size to the ones in the boxcar set then the upper ones might work.  I am leaning towards a plastic one though.

Thanks again,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »
David:

The two upper Kato wheels are the right style, but are two distinct sizes.  I had checked the brake wheel on a Kato SD40-2 I have and it is too large.  Are these identified by a part number or loco they are from?

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »
David:

I just went to the Kato website and I see that it is possible to order parts directly.  If you could tell me which locomotive those upper and mid brake wheels are from, I will be able to place an order.  I am guessing that the small one in the top of your photo is the one I want, but if the middle one is smaller than the SD40-2 wheel I'll order those two.

I will also order the GMM brake wheel set from my LHS as another option.

Thanks for all the help,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
David:

I just went to the Kato website and I see that it is possible to order parts directly.  If you could tell me which locomotive those upper and mid brake wheels are from, I will be able to place an order.  I am guessing that the small one in the top of your photo is the one I want, but if the middle one is smaller than the SD40-2 wheel I'll order those two.

I will also order the GMM brake wheel set from my LHS as another option.

Thanks for all the help,

Tim

Tim, I wish I could help you with part numbers, but the ones I have were purchased many years ago--I just ordered a bunch to have a variety of them on hand (for situations much like yours!). I'm sure one of the other Railwire members likely knows the Kato parts better then I do. You may need to post your query on the N scale side to get their attention, though.

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »
Tim,

The brake wheels in question would be from the U30C/C30-7, SD40-2 and SD45 part # 933011. However I can't find a second version?

I would suggest Atlas Part # 426027 from the U25B, IIRC it is smaller then the Kato Wheel...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:45:49 PM by Ryan87 »
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »
Ryan:

Thanks for your suggestions - the SD40-2 wheel is too big at about 21" - i am looking for something closer to 12"-15" diameter in N.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »
how big is the Eric Wheel? I seem to remember it being on the small side...
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...