Author Topic: Digitrax Duplex Radio Throttles  (Read 2083 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Digitrax Duplex Radio Throttles
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:56:20 PM »
Some info from Yahoo Digitrax Group

1..Just got information from Digitrax that the DT402 is available for order from Dealers today.  They will begin shipping the new throttles and duplex receivers 6/22.

Bob

Robert Heroux
ACCU-LITES, Inc.
118 S. Main St. STE 12
Wauconda, IL 60084

2. Here is what Digitrax tells us Dealers for converting your existing
throttles:

End users will be offered a conversion program for existing DT400s beginning
in September 2009.

Hold on to your existing throttles until September. Throttles received from
end users will not be process until September!

Units are not field convertible.

Digitrax will handle all conversions in their Panama City, Florida facility.

DT400 to DT402 Conversion Pricing

Existing Upgrade Additional Features Upgrade
Throttle to New Price
29 Simplex Duplex
Functions Radio Radio

DT400 DT402 X $25.00
DT400 DT402R X X $50.00
DT400 DT402D X X $65.00

DT400R DT402R X X $25.00
DT400R DT402D X X $65.00

If any of this doesn't come out as it should, let me know and I will be glad
to answer any questions directly or via the chat list.

Mike Gleaton
Charleston Digital Trains LLC
www.charlestondigitaltrains.com
A small dealer I guess, to some!

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +65
Re: Digitrax Duplex Radio Throttles
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:26:04 AM »
I cant wait for Duplex, it was the big decision to goto with the DCS50 then upgrade to the Duplex stuff later this year. Looks like my wallet will not get any heavier through December.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »
Digitrax announces DUPLEX RADIO with quick delivery!

Digitrax will start shipping the DT402 series throttles about June 22, 2009. These new throttles have function support through F28 and include three versions

* Standard DT402
    * Simplex (traditional) RADIO DT402R
    * Duplex (new) RADIO DT402D

We have throttles and sets on order. We have returned all our DT400 throttles for upgrade to the DT402 version, so are currently out of stock on the larger Digitrax throttles.

The Duplex radio brings with it several new features:

* No need to plug in to select or drop a loco
    * Full programming in all modes wirelessly
    * Group Name functions, allowing different layouts to function side by side, such as at train shows
    * Reduced interference by moving from the 900 MHz band to the 2.4 GHz band
    * Increased range - about 300 feet from the transceiver to the throttle
    * Support for dozens of throttles on one UR-92 transceiver.

Traditional (simplex) and new (duplex) radio systems can exist side-by-side on the same layout, with the R series throttles talking to the traditional UR-91 receiver and the D series throttles talking to the new UR-92 transceiver.

Over the summer the existing sets (with DT400 series throttles) will be phased out and the new "Xtra" sets (with the DT402 throttles) brought in. Right now the Super sets are in stock and available for a few dollars less than the new sets will cost. Once we have stock of the new Xtra sets (shipping scheduled to start in late June to us), we will be sending our inventory back to Digitrax for an upgrade and the lower cost sets will no longer be available. All the Xtra series radio sets will come with DUPLEX RADIO!

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +651
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »
Has anyone managed to get their hands on these and try them out?

Inquiring minds what to know....

Hiroe

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »
Will the D series radio throttles still work on the older UR-91 receivers if someone hasn't upgraded their system with the UR-92? I'm an NCE user all the way, but i do still own a DT400R for use at other layouts. (I really wish that the NMRA had also published a "Throttle Bus" standard, allowing any manufacturer's throttle to be used on any other manufacturer's base system.)
wubba lubba dub dub

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »
Drew,
The DT400 throttles are no longer in production. They have been replaced by the DT402.
There are 3 versions of the new DT402 throttle.
1.  DT402 is plug-in and infrared only same as the DT400. Works plugged in and via infrared with a UR90 or the infrared pickup on a UR91.

2.  DT402R uses the old 9.6mhz frequency and only works with the UR91. It is a simplex radio throttle same as the DT400R. Works also via infrared with a UR90 infrared receiver.

DT402D is the duplex radio version. It's radio will only work with the new UR92 which is on the 2.4ghz frequency. However, DT402D also has infrared so theoretically it should communicate with a UR91 or a UR90 via its infrared receiver.

All of the DT402 versions come with 29 functions and downloadable firmware updates.
All DT400 versions can be upgraded to any of the DT402 versions. See the web site for pricing and instructions.

Sometime around the end of the year, Digitrax is supposed to release a new duplex version of the UT4. Don't know how many versions or if they will have 29 functions.

All that being said, your DT400R will still work with the old UR91 and also via infrared with the new UR92. It won't communicate by radio with a UR92. UR92's and UR91's can be on the same loconet so there is no reason for disconnecting the old when the new is installed. Couple of people have tested them stacked one on top the other with no problems. There were seven UR92's connected to the Derby City Express layout last summer. No one noticed.

Martin Myers

Hiroe

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:08:30 PM »
Martin,

I am contemplating upgrading my DT400R to the DT402D. The ability to steal other users' locos while running without having to 'jack in' has great appeal to me. That said, i don't want to lose backwards compatibility with layouts without the UR92. I could upgrade it to the DT402R, but eventually i'm going to want to access the duplex functions; and i don't really see the point in sending it back twice. Can we confirm the Duplex throttles working via infrared with the UR91 (and how well?), or should i simply pony up for my own UR92 to travel with the throttle?

--Drew
wubba lubba dub dub

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:25:02 AM »
Drew,
 Can't confirm  at the moment. Quite frankly, I'd rely on a UR92 instead. Once you've done radio. IR is spotty at best and the UR91(s) would need to be mounted within eye shot. Can't count on that.
Personally, I'm planning to just purchase a new DT402D if the club decides to purchase a UR92. Keep my DT400R/UR91 for home and back up. I don't really need the duplex but would like to have the new frequency that no other DCC system is using. The NCE radio guys can really hog the bandwidth at shows.
Martin