Author Topic: Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...  (Read 2645 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...
« on: November 16, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
The PRR is the devil, and it is tempting me. When I was way younger, I wanted to model the PRR in transition era Philly, well before I was born. But I moved on and have lately been researching the establishment of a contemporary fictional regional carrier, the PenMarVa, so I can model what I know with some artistic license. I am particularly concentrating on a division running on the Delmarva peninsula, parallel to the PRR's Delmarva Lines.

Relegated to armchair research at this point due to an ever lengthening stint on crutches (7 weeks and counting, for a 'sprain'), I've been living vicariously through those on this list and the A board who have turned to or already modeled Penn Central and Conrail, and snickered with ill thoughts of the Pennsy. But Friday's mail brought a copy of the Morning Sun book Trackside on the PRR Delmarva Lines 1965-1967 (courtesy of Chuck Macklin @ www.railroadbooks.biz) and I am being tempted to return to my original idea. Well kinda.

Here is an Alco and Baldwin playground set in bucolic serenity ending with a rail marine terminal at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Granted, I hate Baldwin Sharks, which were prominent on the line at that time, but I could always use FA units instead and just rewrite history a little, maybe even throw in an odd RS11. But who can resist RS3s (and an occasional RSD5) followed by an almost solid line of box cars and reefers, all started with a flat car loaded ala the Lionel play book, with a boat (from the Chris Craft factory @ Salisbury MD)?

OK, so the requisite S-12s are not made in N to create the multiple unit switcher lash ups the line featured, hauling strings of low 3 bay coal hoppers with PRR billboard lettering, but the Atlas V1000 would be a good stand in, until the S12 is made by Atlas. And I am sure I could find a way to make an RS12 to haul the 2 car passenger trains through the gritty Delaware, Maryland and Virginia towns, many still replete with hip roof passenger stations and freight depots with wide open air platforms; past corn, potato, and tobacco fields. And it's not so bad, right, if I model only a few years before I was born, maybe the early 60s?

Researching the industries and station architecture on this obscure line to do it justice will take the rest of my life, and then there's all the modern equipment I've amassed that will have to be traded in for boxcars with, eek, running boards. And I suppose I could just wait a little longer for the Baldwins to be manufactured in N, maybe until I am 60 or 70, and the period autos I would need to populate the region... Ugh, how can I stop thinking these evil thoughts and get back to something more doable?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:57:14 PM by sirenwerks »
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

JDouglasFisher

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:11:21 PM »
Although I own PDY 1-6, I will admit I am not a rabid PRR fan,

that being said however, I always liked the DelMarVa operations, very rural, seaside, interesting.

I'd throw a couple F7's in the roster as well, just for the hell of it...

J.......

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2221
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:26:17 PM »
Whatever you do, DON'T go visit Lee's...

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:38:37 PM »
Personally, I don't know how Lee does it. Living there, and modeling here. Crazy, no?
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »
Weird, isn't it? But I think it's the lack of tunnels to hide things in over there.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:12:49 PM »
I model the Western Maryland for the simple reason that it offers a very diverse operation in a very compact piece of geography.

When I get tired of the fast paced world of running trains in and out of Hagerstown, though, a sleepy rural operation like those found here would definitely be the ticket.  If I go totally retro to the steam era, I'd choose the Ma & Pa, but that would require HO to have fun with the details on the diminutive power and dilapidated right of way...  If I stick with N, which is the most likely scenario, I'd go with the same time frame, around 1970, and do the Penn Central on the shore.

Same deal... Alco's, GP-9's and the occasional F unit...  Lots of rust and weeds, and at least a couple of swing bridges...

Ed's right though...  be prepared to do some clever scenery tricks to hide return loops, staging tracks and other such necessities... There ain't no hills over here, much less tunnels!

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:54:55 PM »
Yeah, the bag o' tricks is pretty slim. Tree lines, the odd grain elevator, and an occasional highway bridge is all there is to duck behind. I think I'd be okay if'n I hadn't picked up the latest GMR. Damn that Lance Mindheim...

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »
Oh, and if it helps to discourage you from sinning further, you'll have no choiced but to scratch build the lift bridge over the canal... ;D
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »
Didn;t the PRR T&HS pass some kind of rule making freelancing strictly taboo? ;D

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 11:28:14 AM »
Oh, and if it helps to discourage you from sinning further, you'll have no choiced but to scratch build the lift bridge over the canal...

I was already dealing with that with the PenMarVa idea. The lift bridge is DEFINITELY something to be hinted at, very off stage. Unless maybe TrainCat decides to do one I can afford (fat chance there, considering the size and complexity of that bridge).

Didn;t the PRR T&HS pass some kind of rule making freelancing strictly taboo?

Hmmm, good thing I'm not as member or the Pennsy police's black helicopter might come get me.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Damn that Lance Mindheim...

Lol, that quote makes me laugh. Take a look at his Monon, then my Conrail1285 site... see what he started in THAT case? I think you're getting off easy here pal. :)

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »
By the way, Bryan, when ARE you coming down this way?  The crew is getting tired of being stood up!  Perhaps we'll schedule the next run around YOUR schedule... no excuses, then!
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »
What? I haven't heard of another session coming down the pike (bad pun, I know). If the WM is ADA accessible, I'm game. I've even jury rigged my Jetta to be able to get to work. Good thing too, since it's looking more and more like these crutches are gonna be with me through the holidays. But if I have to go in for surgery it will mean a hard cast, and there's no driving anywhere then lest I teach the cats to operate a clutch. Or Ed picks me up.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 03:48:07 PM »
Well, the layout's in the attic, and there's about 30 steps between the front sidewalk and the train room...
I'm sure Ed would be willing to pick you up, the question is will he carry you? ;D

I want to schedule something soon... stay tuned.
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
Plenty of room in the Volvo... except I'm not givin anyone a piggyback up those stairs...