Author Topic: More 86' boxcars  (Read 2045 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
More 86' boxcars
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:03:06 PM »
Another batch of 86' boxcars has been announced! Man I'm going to have alot of these things with all these cool roadnames!
I'll definatley take the NYC and B&O :) The B&O actually has the right lettering! unlike the concor one I have.
http://www.bluford-shops.com/

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2210
    • Conrail 1285
Re: More 86' boxcars
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:41:02 AM »
Very cool.

And their samples look absolutely awesome. Me thinks its time for an analysis of what cars would show up in B'more now...

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »
I'll be grabbing some of each road. This run was like a Who's who of Sharon Yard in the late 60/early 70's.

Craig & Steve research every choice and as the description shows, can teel you which pool they were in.

Some of these newer manufacturer's can challenge some of the stuffy old guard in the scale.

Expect to see some different idea's from Deluxe Innovations too.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:55:40 AM »
Hopefully those meat heads at Walthers will watch how well these things sell (along with the MT, Red Caboose and Atlas auto racks, Atlas 60' parts cars and even the prices fetched by ancient Arnold and Trix 86 footers) and consider releasing their Auto Industry series of structures in N scale.

But I won't be holding my breath or waiting by the phone....

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

asarge

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »
I just got word that the first batch (UP/MP, CR, GT/DT&I) should be shipping next week.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 03:06:35 PM »
Craig & Steve research every choice and as the description shows, can tell you which pool they were in.

Is there
a plan to publish available pool/plant/routng information?  Nice to have, but may require some creativity in explaining why a car usually assigned to a stamping plant in Ohio and a vehicle assembly plant in Missouri is doing in a manifest train on the California coast...
Support fine modeling

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:22:41 PM »
Craig & Steve research every choice and as the description shows, can tell you which pool they were in.

Is there
a plan to publish available pool/plant/routng information?  Nice to have, but may require some creativity in explaining why a car usually assigned to a stamping plant in Ohio and a vehicle assembly plant in Missouri is doing in a manifest train on the California coast...

i'd love to see the pool info - i need to get cars for my MILW line.
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

asarge

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:31:26 PM »
With the batch they announced, they have started that, where they have the info. It might be difficult to find that out on a car number basis. Also, the 86' Boxcars were/are used to carry Cereal from Kelloggs.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »
Individual car
pool information would posibly be too detailed.  I personally would be looking for information like:

1. This paint scheme was applied in 19xx and was common until 19xx repainting/scrapping
2. Cars in this paint sceme were assigned XYZ, DEF, LMN and ABC pools
  2a. 25 'LMN pool' cars assigned to (source) Lexington, KY (destination) Kansas City, MO
  2b. 16 'DEF pool' cars assigned to (source) Battle Creek, MI (destination) anywhere USA
3. This car paint scheme was often seen at GM plants Van Nuys, CA or Doraville, GA

I'm assuming that there is a wealth of research the Bluford Shops staff has assembled that would be almost impossible for we 'mere mortals' to collect ourselves...
Support fine modeling

asarge

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »
I'm assuming that there is a wealth of research the Bluford Shops staff has assembled that would be almost impossible for we 'mere mortals' to collect ourselves...

JJ, according to what Craig and several other manufacturers have told us is that they all have accumulated a library of sorts plus info off the internet sites. I was surprised in that they only rarely come across info like builders lot numbers for freight cars. Craig told me he has a walkin closet of materials for research.

Now what Bluford has done is set their releases to generally coordinater era's. The first batch will be all schems from the 90's to now, the second release is late 70's to 80's. The third batch is the 60's to early 70's. Fourth Batch goes to 70's and last batch is all 60's. They should be due for a more modern again next. I've been told that we can expect batch's of different schemes to continue thru 2009 and they do plan on covering all the schemes possible, before they they announce a new freight car.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 05:15:43 PM »
I think they should post this pool info on their website. 8) I remember seeing lots of these roll through the Pokey back in the sixties and seventies but which roads? The pool info would be useful here.

It's kinda funny, I ordered one back when these were announced, I can't remember which one it was (I think it was Milw). I wasn't gonna order any more until I saw what they looked like in person hehe.

Henry err uh I mean Mark

asarge

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 05:22:29 PM »
The pool info might be very hard to come by unless the phot is sharp enough to show it on the car side. I know he'll post it when he has the info.

Ali Kenneth

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 07:01:14 AM »
I wish i had ordered more after seeing the samples.
Awesome!

Alasdair