Author Topic: Atlas Trainman - GP15-1 - Decoder and General  (Read 1370 times)

scootbird

Atlas Trainman - GP15-1 - Decoder and General
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
Just picked up a UP GP15-1 from Chulvis the other day.  He just happened to have one laying around looking for a good home.  Considering the "Trainman" designation, I must say that I am rather impressed with the loco overall.  The frame was very well done and everything fit very well.  Details on the shell are not as sharp as I would want - but hey it is "Trainman" after all.

Discovered that an NCE N12A2 decoder just dropped right in with slight mods (possiby optional.)  The four brass connection spacers from the original Atlas light-board were moved to the power pads on the NCE and when installed it ran just great the first time out.  A bit noisy in the gears at moderate to high speeds....slow to creep fairly quiet and creeps nice and slow.

A great buy for the money....try it...you will like it!  Disclosure:  Rivet counters this is not for you.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:34:15 AM by scootbird »

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
Re: Atlas Trainman - GP15-1 - Decoder and General
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:04:19 AM »
  Recieved my Chuck-Pack yesterday with 3 of the locomotives. Yes they are "Right Nice" for a low cost entry level locomotive. I still see some of them on Onions Pathetic hare in Utah wit local trains. When I first saw them here was after a number of them were transferred out west after the Mo Pac merger, they were in Blue then so I just had to get on in MP colors as well as two Union Spazific locos so I can operate mixed paint scheme consists like I use to see here or later all UP painted ones. Thanks for the decoder info incase I ever decide to get serious about DCC and retire my wireless radio CVP system.                                                                                                                                   Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.