Author Topic: Custom Painted Kato GG1  (Read 2629 times)

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
Custom Painted Kato GG1
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
Just thought I would post a few pics of 2 Kato GG1's I just finished painting.  I was going put them up for auction later.  I have been wanting to paint these two schemes ever since Kato announced they were going to do the GG1's.  One is in the Tuscan 5-stripe scheme and the other is in the Tuscan single stripe scheme and weathered.

Scott

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:31:47 PM by Scott Lupia »
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

71jeep

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
Re: Custom Painted Kato GG1
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
Hi Scott...

Who's decals did you use or sheet number ect.??

I accidently bought two I would like to do one in the Tuscan five stripe.Your models are very well done thanks for sharing.

Allen....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:56:01 PM by 71jeep »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »
Wow those look great ., what a pro job . They ought to get you big bucks .

One thing though , those vertical stains on the body under the pans on the solid stripe one , would they not after the first vertical run down the upper section hit the slope and run down the slope at least for awhile before they ran down the outside vertical part of the body ?

Richie Dost

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 01:11:42 PM »
Wow Scott, that weathering job on the bottom one is gorgeous. Really great stuff, thanks for sharing with us.

Scott Lupia

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »
Thanks guys.  I thought the same thing about the staining but the photo I used as inspiration has the staining running vertically.  I can't figure out why.

I used Microscale 60-67 and 60-39 for both engines. 

Scott

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »
Stunning work. I'm not a Pennsy fan, but I've always liked the five-stripe scheme. Used to work a couple of blocks from a station on the NE corridor, and every lunchtime I was out there watching the Gs roll by.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:00:48 PM by David K. Smith »

UP_Phill

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 07:38:06 PM »
Fantastic job Scott, very impressive.  8) :)

ryourstone

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
Hey you beat me to it  ;D  Actually, my plans are 2 in the Green single stripe scheme and 1 in PC (for now).

How did the paint stripping go, did you use alcohol or something else? Kato shells always worry me a little, I had a U28C literally turn to an eggshell.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 10:20:38 PM »
Ooooo....  I can't wait!  Mine's in the mail from Chulvis!  Ooooh, boy.....

I'm leaving mine as-is.  Kato was smart in their choice of road number.  #4935 returned to its 5-stripe DGLE scheme in 1977 after wearing PC black under Amtrak, thanks to the efforts of the Friends of the GG1.  It remained in that scheme until the G's were retired in 1981.  So it works for me for both my Pennsy 1956 and my Conrail 1980 rosters!

Never mind that I have no catenary... :-X

But excellent work, Scott.  Very well done.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:23:52 PM by Dave Vollmer »

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 02:24:27 AM »
  Scott, what more can I say or add to the existing comments,yes a fantastic job, wonderful weathering. How easy (hard) was the body to strip?                                                                                   Nate Goodman (Nato).

ryourstone

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:35:04 AM »
I'm leaving mine as-is.  Kato was smart in their choice of road number.  #4935 returned to its 5-stripe DGLE scheme in 1977 after wearing PC black under Amtrak, thanks to the efforts of the Friends of the GG1.  It remained in that scheme until the G's were retired in 1981.  So it works for me for both my Pennsy 1956 and my Conrail 1980 rosters!

Except you'll need some weathering, by 1980 it was looking like a real GG1 and not a museum piece!

http://railroadview.com/images/Transparency0052.JPG

Was also a good choice by Kato because this one didn't have the high air intakes or toe slots. I'm going to keep one in stock paint too, for the occasional 50's throwback op session. (Or at least photo session, ops are still a ways off)

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 07:59:41 AM »
Hey you beat me to it  ;D  Actually, my plans are 2 in the Green single stripe scheme and 1 in PC (for now).

How did the paint stripping go, did you use alcohol or something else? Kato shells always worry me a little, I had a U28C literally turn to an eggshell.

I had the same thing happen with an SD45, I`m stll searching for a shell for it....Really great work Scott.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Scott Lupia

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 08:24:29 AM »
Kato shells are tough.  I used Scalecoat II stripper and just kept pulling the shells out and scrubbed them with an old toothbrush.  Most of the paint came off after a while.  I once had a passenger car shell which turned to playdough after 2 days in the stripper. 

I saw a few photos of the fifties Silver Meteor pulled by a GG1.  I am going to have to model that train.  I have some strong family ties to the Meteor and the Palm.  Do I need to do it, no not really but it would be silly not to.  Any Pennsy people out there have any idea about how to find out what equipment would be on the fifties Silver Meteor or Palm?  So far I have only seen one photo of the train.

Scott

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 08:28:11 AM »
Ooooo....  I can't wait!  Mine's in the mail from Chulvis!  Ooooh, boy.....

Never mind that I have no catenary... :-X

But excellent work, Scott.  Very well done.

I remember walking down Benson Road in Fairfield Connecticut one afternoon after school (I was in high school at the time) and seeing a train head through town on the old New Haven West End - glanced up and was shocked to see a shiny PRR GG-1 (4935) at the head of the train - even my friends who weren't into trains at all commented on how clean it looked - we were used to seeing filthy Amtrak and Conrail/ex-PC crap at that point.

Did see her again a few months later, and yeah, you certainly could weather her for both eras!

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 08:55:33 AM »
Scott

You might want to check out this group.  Sure they would have some info on the cars/trains you want to model.

http://www.aclsal.org/calendar.htm

Also, the Morning Sun books have a lot of photos of various cars.

Bob