Author Topic: Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 tender  (Read 1360 times)

3rdrail

Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 tender
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »
Anyone know how the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 tender comes apart? Looks like the top deck and coal pile are removeable but the rest seems to be in one piece. Is this correct?

I want to strip mine (in the WM fireball scheme with red deck) and repaint it for Reading. After Spookshow posted a shot of my RDG 2-8-0 on Atlas, I got it out and the gears have all cracked. So, the shell goes on the Spectrum.

TIA

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2751
Re: Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 tender
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
No quotes, but I think the rear truck screw is longer than the front and goes into the body. After it is removed the body should come off.

***edit***  OK I was part right. The rear truck screw holds the top of the tender on only. The sides and frame are all one piece. It's been a while.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:45:38 PM by Chris333 »

3rdrail

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:53:45 PM »
No quotes, but I think the rear truck screw is longer than the front and goes into the body. After it is removed the body should come off.

***edit***  OK I was part right. The rear truck screw holds the top of the tender on only. The sides and frame are all one piece. It's been a while.

Thanks, Chris, that's what I suspected. Now I've got to figure out how to take things apart to strip the shell.  :(  Oh well, tomorrow's another day...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2751
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »
I took one apart in the middle of my above post. The top is a very tight fit. I was poking up through the truck holes with a screwdriver to push the top out. Not much in there just a weight and 2 contact strips.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:33:39 AM »
Erie Chris and your suspicions are correct, GM.  The tender deck/coal load slides into the tender.  It is a very tight friction fit.  The way that I got mine out was to remove the aft (angled) coal board.  If you grip it lightly and politely with a pair of needlenosed pliers and pull upwards and back, it will come out.  There is a slot in the aft of the coal load.  You can stick a jeweller's screwdriver into the slot and work out the tender deck/coal load. 

You will have to cover the contact strips if you are going to paint, as Bachpersonn holds them in place on the bottom of the tender by melting the plastic nubs over which the holes in the contact strips go.  Kato's method with a retaining clip is much better.  I suppose that you could remove them and fashion your own clip when it is time to replace them, it does not appear that difficult:  a few pieces of styrene, a MT coupler screw and a pin vise ought to be sufficient.

I have converted a number of these to oil burners for my non-historic railroad, so I type from experience.  I discarded the aft coal board, as an oil burner would not need one, but it appears that you can glue it back.

David Leonard

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »
OK, I've tried all the above methods (and succeeded in removing the aft coal board--with MUCH force), but I cannot get the deck/coal load to budge at all. It's like it's glued in at the ends. Are there little tabs or anything I need to focus on? The deck is plenty loose from the sides, but not from the ends. Using a screw driver up through the holes will only result in piercing the deck. Any other advice?

BTW, thanks, Gregg, for titling this topic "Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 tender" instead of something useless like "I need help!" It was easy to find.

EDIT: Never mind, I got it out. I used a smaller screwdriver under the coal load, and it worked its way beyond the weight to the deck, giving me better leverage. The coal load could be easily repaired if damaged anyway.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:10:05 PM by David Leonard »