Author Topic: Dapol just doesn't get it ...  (Read 1120 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +185
Dapol just doesn't get it ...
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »
Imagine, using 5 poles when everyone else knows 3 poles work just fine!  ::)

http://www.dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=229&Itemid=65

;)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +748
Re: Dapol just doesn't get it ...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:04:23 AM »
Well thats good to see , I just wish they pulled a tad better , and had smaller flanges , and made some American small steam models . Isn't it odd that one manufacturer does part of the process perfectly , another does another part , etc. Try and find the kit and the caboodle all combined in the form of a good looking , smooth and slow running loco .

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +185
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »
Flanges don't look so bad in this pic:

But since I've never seen any of their locos in person I have no real opinion. But as you say they at least seem to have a clue.

If they do any North American I hope it'd be 1:160 not 1:148  ;)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +748
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:12:03 PM »
I have a Dapol 2-6-2T , the flanges aren't horrible , surly not pizza cutters , maybe taco creasers would be closer to the truth .  I could live with them I suppose if they did an American loco . That purposely designed low speed drive took some dedication , money , and engineering . I salute them , and wish them much success with their very fine detailed locos . I bet they will run well for a very long time too .

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
Well thats good to see , I just wish they pulled a tad better , and had smaller flanges , and made some American small steam models . Isn't it odd that one manufacturer does part of the process perfectly , another does another part , etc. Try and find the kit and the caboodle all combined in the form of a good looking , smooth and slow running loco .

Most recent
Atlas, InterMountain, Kato, or Walthers diesel locos. 

Athearn seems to have a pretty good handle on larger steam along with Kato excepting the GS4 DCC debacle.  MicroAce along with thier proxy Atlas has small steam covered while Athearn/MDC has credible steamers at the small end.  The Atlas shay appears to have the whole package but could be pretty useless to model the 20th Century Limited.

Manufacturers have repeatedly raised the bar, but it has gone up unevenly.  Detail level has skyrocketed but electrical contact is stone age or worse.  Mechanisims are made to tighter tolerances than ever before but assembly accuracy varies.

These are indeed the best of times but the number of coins necessary to get to steam loco nirvanna may be well beyond what we are used to...
Support fine modeling