Author Topic: Kato Union Pacific Passenger Train Advance  (Read 3340 times)

rsauerbrun

Kato Union Pacific Passenger Train Advance
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »
Has anyone heard about the advance notice on Kato's release of the UP passenger train? I have heard there will be EMD 8/9 A/B/A engines and two car sets (set A & set B).

Where have you seen these offered as pre-orders?

Thanks,

Richard
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:03:33 PM by rsauerbrun »

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
Re: Kato Union Pacific Passenger Train Advance
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:35:05 PM »
i have heard the same thing... probaby from seeing it online or in a magazine... come to think of it, i think it was  online at one of the retailers.....

no release date on the 2 car sets as of 2 weeks ago....

i cant speak on the engines.....

but yes, they are forthcoming.

side bar question...
is it true the first kato release of UP passenger cars came unnamed and unnumbered..?
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

tokenbrit

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:53:41 PM »
Has anyone heard about the advance notice on Kato's release of the UP passenger train? I have heard there will be EMD 8/9 A/B/A engines and two car sets (set A & set B).

Where have you seen these offered as pre-orders?

Feather River Train Shop

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:40:42 AM »

side bar question...
is it true the first kato release of UP passenger cars came unnamed and unnumbered..?

Yes.  No numbers or car names on any of the intial release of passenger cars.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:10:49 AM »

side bar question...

Carter

interesting... i had heard that, but it struke me as a bit unusual... is there any folklore or stories as to why they would do that?  does it strike anyone else as unusual?

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
For Kato yet.  Understand that Walthers 10-6 lightweights will not have any names of numbers and you apply them yourself.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 03:25:53 PM »
For Kato yet.  Understand that Walthers 10-6 lightweights will not have any names of numbers and you apply them yourself.

i didnt think of that... but yes, those walthers cars are coming unnamed... but the decal sheets come with them i believe...

curious nonetheless....

an interesting question.

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 04:01:10 PM »

side bar question...

Carter

interesting... i had heard that, but it struke me as a bit unusual... is there any folklore or stories as to why they would do that?  does it strike anyone else as unusual?

Most things Kato does strike me as unusual. Such as why did they let their F7 tooling lie dormant so long? Same for the SD40-2. Odd and repetitious roadname choices. All this the tip of the iceberg ...

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:30:22 AM »
  Kato's Thinking originally was that modelers could letter their own cars and number them. That works fine if you are a UP modeler (Fanzze) like myself and have access to prototype car names and number info,no there was a larger problem at hand, Union Pacific cars and locomotives from that era feature fine black outlining around the letters & numbers. I sloved it on my E Units because Walthers N UP diesel decals were same size letters and had the black outlines so I over layed them over the KATO all red letters and numbers. The passenger cars were a different story. Even though the KATO road name lettering could be removed with an eraser I decided it was too much trouble to do this, so I had custom decals made in solid red usuing a Walthers HO sheet as a guide, but adding extra car names for the then current excursion car fleet if I wanted to do some of these. Had to have a large enough quanity made that I gave some to other club members who had these cars and even decaled one members cars for him. I did remove the road name on one coach and re did it with Micro Scale black outline decals which had just been released,I also removed the road name on one obs car and replaced it with "City Of San Francisco" train name which was closer to the modeled car. I have enough of the UP cars that I did six cars as excursion cars with names and no numbers, road has since added numbers to cars. I was so relieved when later runs of these cars came with numbers and names where appropriate and that some cars for other roads that jointly operated the train C&NW ,SP & Wabash were offered,KATO already did Milwaukee. Kato now realizes that most modelers would like to have the cars complete,no self decaling required, although an inclosed sheet like Walthers will have would have been a nice solution.                  Nate Goodman (Nato).

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 08:51:39 AM »
thanks Nate!

i knew there had to be something behind it.
 ;)

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 09:13:33 AM »
Finally!  Kato is doing something for the Union Pacific.... oh, wait... :P
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 04:49:55 AM »
  Kato is hardly doing anything for the Onions Pathetic (UP). The cars they did and keep releasing allowed modelers to do a partial UP train. Baggage, RPO, coach ,dome coach,diner all are models of Post War UP cars. Sleeper is a model of a Pre War car and obs car is a model of a Pullman Standard pool car later sold to the SP for use on their Lark train when they wrecked two similar cars. This car briefly ran on the UP COSF train in 1939-40 after that train was wrecked in Nevada killing 17 passengers and crew as a temporary replacement car. Now if KATO really wanted to do the correct thing they would do a completly correct Union Pacific Streamliner or later Domeliner like they have done the CZ,Pooper Chief,and soon to be Daylight and Broadway Ltd. trains. How bout say the 1955 City OF Los Angeles or Portland, heck they already have some of the cars, all they would have to do is the dome diner, dome obs lounge car, and two types of post war sleepers,Budd 10-6 and PS Placid series cars to have a fairly complete train, but Naw it ain't going to happen. It is just like their so called GN Umpire Builder ,the UP SP cars get re run with new numbers or names in GN . We will never get a 1955 Builder train like Walthers did in HO unless you do what I did , use mostly Con Cor GN cars,with a few Kato's mixed in plus car side kits from Brass Car Sides. An don't get me started on the nice Walthers HO  Morning Hi train or the Milwaukee Station we will never see in N. Waaa. Nate Goodman (Nato).

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 07:35:08 AM »
I'd really like them to do the GM "Train of Tomorrow". They could also release it in UP colors.  Always thought this was a great looking set of equipment.

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
We will never get a 1955 Builder train like Walthers did in HO An don't get me started on the nice Walthers HO  Morning Hi train or the Milwaukee Station we will never see in N. Waaa. Nate Goodman (Nato).

Never say Never.  ;)
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 09:49:29 AM »
  Kato is hardly doing anything for the Onions Pathetic (UP).

I wish they'd hardly do anything for certain other roads.  ;)