Author Topic: Athearns weathered cars?  (Read 1553 times)

EL3672

Athearns weathered cars?
« on: December 12, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »
For those that have seen them, I was wondering what the groups opinion was regarding these Athearn weathered cars.
I noticed the other day at the LHS, the first run cars have been slow movers and they have been marking the prices down. I had two in hand and after a closer look decided to pass.. maybe they'll be half price next week.

Good start as a weathering base? got potenial? or just that bad and not worth it?

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Athearns weathered cars?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
In my opinion if you are willing to pay for mediocre weathering, they are fine. But with a little bit of work and a few hours you can make a great looking car on your own.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:53:48 PM »

Not worth it.  It's just a spray of a dirt color in a straight line along the bottom of the car.  The wheels are not even completely covered due to the truck masking.

EL3672

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 03:14:35 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't even noticed the wheel spit. The Genesis line does offer allot for the buck. By the way, I'm new around here and wanted to pass a compliment along to the Forum for a good balance of info, vision and level of interest. I hope to throw my 2 cents in when I can.

Alex
EL3672
"The Friendly Service Route"