Author Topic: N Scale Freighter Nearly Finished  (Read 2793 times)

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
N Scale Freighter Nearly Finished
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:27:43 PM »
Two years in the making! The Beavercove was built, along with four other sister ships, in 1947 to replace the ships lost by Canadian Pacific during WWII. She is 497 feet long, with a top speed of 19 knots. Here's a 3/4th bow view.

And here's a 3/4th stern view. I used solid gunwhales instead of railings. The gunwhale stays are parts from the Bachmann Car Repair Shop.

This is an overall view of bow section.

Here's a closer look at forward hatches 1 & 2. The crew (on order) is rolling back hatch No.2. There are winches, winch control stands, and boom rests, along with ladders up the posts and lots of rigging.

More later.

OK, I'm back. Let's look at some of the details. I commited to more detail on smaller ships, such as my minesweeper, subchaser, and small cutter. Little did I realize what this translated to on a big ship like the Beavercove. My rigging is about 50% of the actual rigging, but I simply gave up. I left out the blocks, after trying to rig them--not feasible unless I wanted to spend a year just rigging the blocks.

So let's look at a close-up of hatches 3 & 4. This was my second try at a large styrene hull, and the sections on the plans cut across the hatch openings. I knew this and, in the future, will adjust the sections so they don't cut across the hatches. I used a vertical keel, which split the hatches in half along the length. I think a vertical keel is essential for strength--but I could have done two keels on either side of the hatches.

More later.

Here's a look at the bridge and superstructure from the bow. The Beavercove carried about 20 passengers. Fitting the superstructure to a swept and cambered deck was a challenge. I still have a litle detail painting to do.

Here's a look at the stern. The booms are up on the landside, but mostly in their cradles on the seaward side.

Here's a high shot from the stern. Most of the rigging is 2-lb monofiliament, about a scale 0.5 inch. It's harder to work with than thread, as it's springy. Thread is a bit larger. The monofiliament also takes coloring very well from a Sharpie, or indelible marker/

And, finally, a few details from the stern, looking forward. I still have some dull-coating and weathering to do--next trip to the LHS, as I'm out of dull-coat.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2126
    • Conrail 1285
Re: N Scale Freighter Nearly Finished
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 11:04:58 PM »
Wow Pete, definitely your best work to date, and a massive undertaking. Very impressive.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1337
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »
Amazing.  You've fully demonstrated while I'll never model Port Covington...
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +109
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:12:51 PM »
Wow!  That's incredible.
David

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »
 :o

Nice.

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 06:46:51 PM »
As I once said when contemplating how big an Iowa-class battleship would be on a Battletech map:

"That's not a unit, that's terrain." :)

Awe-inspiring work!
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 07:25:01 PM »
I've thought about a Baltimore-class cruiser. And then I think again. And again. They actually displace less than the Beavercove, so it's not really a question of size, although they are about 160 feet longer. I find warships are much easier to rig than cargo ships.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +77
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »
Pete, that's a really nice kit.   :o

All kidding aside, that is a masterpiece of work. Simply amazing!!

Regards
Bob Knight

TrainCat Model Sales

Atlanticflier

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:51:11 AM »
AWESOME !

Congratulations, and thanks for the inspiration. That is really cool.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +174
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 10:46:03 PM »
Pete, I've been working on a full ship rig for two years now, I do a little on it every month.  It takes forever, but it's fun.  I have even managed to learn how to tie tiny knots that
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

ditterke

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 06:08:28 AM »
Congratulation, very fine job you did!
I know, what I'm talking about, because I am also on short final building a ship ... but not as big as yours:
it's just a inland navigation vessel, a pushing unit which is in use on European inland waterways. But nevertheless: I can imagine the effort you put in this pretty work.

You will find more photographs of this unit on my website -- but the text is only German language
http://www.jaffa1.de/schiffe_container.html

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2126
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
That's pretty cool too!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +479
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »
Very nice work ditterke ... I really like your port scenes .. how far south from Bremerhaven / Hamburg do the canals go?

ditterke

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
Thanks for compliments!

"My harbour" HANNOVER is situated at the waterway called "Mittellandkanal", which is crossing Germany from West (River Rhine) to East (Berlin) approximately 150 km south of Bremerhaven. But you can get further southwards using the River Elbe (til Dresden) or the River Rhine (til Heidelberg / Stuttgart). Shipping via Rhine, Main and Main-Danube-Canal an the River Danube, there is no limit southwards: you can ship to the Black Sea and go on to the Mediterranean See.
In face of ecological problems inland water transportation ist getting more in focus in Germany during the last years and the there ist work in progress extending the waterways for greater units.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »
Excellent work, on both counts!  Pete, your detailing is outstanding!  And that container barge has great painting/weathering...it really looks "heavy" to me.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.