Author Topic: Massive InterMountain Delays  (Read 3983 times)

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
Massive InterMountain Delays
« on: November 25, 2007, 03:58:29 PM »
InterMountain just updated their long-term ETA list...

http://www.imrcmodels.com/newsncomingsoon.html

FP7's, which were supposed to start arriving in November, are still a few months out.

All passenger cars delayed. Four varieties of Pennsy cars were due Dec-Jan. Now they stretch out to June-July.

Did PCM purchase InterMountain? (That's humor, not conjecture or inside info!)  ???
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +231
Re: Massive InterMountain Delays
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:25:14 PM »
It's a relief for me on the FP7s - my wallet can wait.

ljudice

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »
Even some hopper cars look like they will be much later than originally planned...

keystonecrossings

• Crew
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 05:13:37 PM »
And delays on the stock cars and the milk cars!!!

So, what is on time?  >:(
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 05:21:28 PM »
So, what is on time?

Santa Fe Yellow Bonnet F7's  ;D ;D ;D
Not good if you are a Pennsy modeller but fine for me  ;D

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »
The CP FP7 were still for december a couple of days ago , they are now due in april ( for now ... )  :-\
Thanks ,
Louis

3rdrail

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
I suspect it is called "get the lead out". Since  most of our trains are made in toy factories, there's probably  a massive "Barbie" recall or the like to remove lead based paints.  :o

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2129
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »
The delay on the WM F units is fine with me.  In February I have to digest a pair of Reading GP-30's.  It also puts the F units in line with my Birthday... It's possible now to shift them to another budget category!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »
That's funny.  I've been waiting a year for the correct D&RGW F7B replacement shell.  Now it'll be April or May . . . maybe.  And those D&RGW coaches . . .  Those characters down the street are really lettin' it slip.

Erik
My D&RGW layout  . . . and other stuff
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/drgw55/

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +272
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »
Hmmm..... a few months ago I posted a "complaint"; or more accurately a "query" regarding Intermountain announcing more and more FP7's before actually delivering any of the original ones - It was on another A board.... I was soundly thrashed for "doubting" Intermountain; I was flamed for "not understanding production shcedules" ( I work in industry..... hmmmmm....) So now, after yet another delay and still more annoucements of "future" FP7's will I get blasted again...?

Intermountain is becoming a questionable supplier in my mind. Period.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Matthew Roberts

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 09:25:11 PM »
Sad. They make such a variety of stuff I "need" ;D. Still wish I'd bought their MoP F7s when I had the chance!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2129
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 09:49:54 PM »
Pud,
I don't think there will be flames, but I think there are some variables here, especially if you're casting the shadow of PCM over Intermountain.
First, I think Intermountain took on a huge project by promising to roll out the entire stable of F-units over the course of just a few years.  The drives may be similar, but all those shell variations must be making the tool and die guys crazy.
Evidence that this was too much too fast can be found in the erroneous B unit shell... Someone was more anxious to get something out fast than to get it out right.

Second, the biggest difference between Intermountain and PCM is that we've actually gotten some follow through and follow up from Intermountain.  The first batches of F units have been very well received, they are very difficult to find "in-stock" anywhere, and people must like them, because I don't even see them turning up on E-bay.  PCM released one model, but other than that, they produce mostly nice glossy ads with empty promises.

Third, I think after the B Unit fiasco, IM is now committed to getting the job done right, so for now, I'm willing to wait a couple extra months.  PCM has a tendency to promote and promise, then pull out when no one reserves.  That's problematic because if you never deliver a product, what are the odds that anyone will order it?

Finally, the FP-7 requires a new drive, whereas the F-3 and F-7 used the same mechanism.  There may be some issues in producing the longer FP that are being ironed out.

So I wouldn't be too hasty to throw IM under the bus just yet....

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +272
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:56:18 PM »
I'm not "throwing them under a bus"... they seem to moving there all on their own. I understand the magnitude of the project and had they set their own timelines more reasonably then we'd not be discussing it. In reality, they should not have announced more FP7's only 60 days ago when they had to know that the first batch, to say nothing of the second release were going to be delayed.

In my experience when a company over promises and under delivers there is s systemic problem... and that is what I fear may be wrong at Intermountain....They, after the PCM debacles should have seen the writing on the wall and waited until they actually delivered a set or two to make more announcements - I think it damages their creditibility.

Cynical... yep, and IMO with reason.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

bsoplinger

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 10:00:07 PM »
There's a bunch of new tooling in there too, the milk cars, the flats, the FP7s, perhaps the 2 level stock cars. It may just be a stretching things out to not tie up too much capitol sort of thing going on here.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +231
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »
I'm an intermountain fan. From what I've heard they stand behind their product.

I don't care too much about delays (though I'm annoyed at how long it has taken for my replacement "B" shell). Then again I haven't been waiting for SD45-2s.

Yeah, it seems they do have some problems, but they seem to have more going for them than most other companies actually offering N scale locos and rolling stock.