Author Topic: UPS Trailers  (Read 9295 times)

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
UPS Trailers
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »
Does anybody make any UPS trailers or UPS decals?

I have been thinking about building several trains of UPS TOFC, since this is how they transport majority of their trailers back and forth from West Coast to the East and back.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

3rdrail

Re: UPS Trailers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »
No one makes UPS decals or UPS decorated trailers. UPS simply will not permit it, period. I believe someone, perhaps Ultimate N Scale, makes undecorated trailers based on the UPS design.

bsoplinger

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:59:34 PM »
Nobody could make "UPS" trailers, UPS is an*l about their image, going so far as to trademark the brown color that is on their vans.

That said, Ultimate N-scale makes a PUP (B-55-S) http://www.ultimatenscale.com/n-scale-trailers.html

You can get Pullman Brown by using the old Testors Rubber color, if you can find it, I don't know if they make it anymore.

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »
Wow, thats really interesting, I wonder why they are so strict about it.

That said, Ultimate N-scale makes a PUP (B-55-S) http://www.ultimatenscale.com/n-scale-trailers.html

Ugh I hate unloading those trailers (Drop-Frame), I am so glad that there is only so few of them in the fleet and the rest is regular pup trailers.

The inside of those trailers have several wooden platforms along the sides of the trailer that folds up and down and there is rollers that extand about 90% of the truck, so when one is loading or unloading the truck we have to un/load the packages from every nick and cranny of the truck.

Good upper body workout though.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

Atlanticflier

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »

RBM (formally Arrowhead) makes drop frame pup trailer resin kits as see here:

http://www.nscaleintermodalstore.net/product.sc?categoryId=18&productId=180

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +965
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 08:09:28 PM »

Wow, thats really interesting, I wonder why they are so strict about it.

Well UP , Uncle Pete , was an Uncommon Pain that way , maybe

UPS , is an Uncommon Pain Squared . 

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 09:39:31 PM »
Nobody could make "UPS" trailers, UPS is an*l about their image, going so far as to trademark the brown color that is on their vans.

You can get Pullman Brown by using the old Testors Rubber color, if you can find it, I don't know if they make it anymore.

They are so strict about lending their trademarks to the model railroading communinty, but you can go to a NASCAR race and buy anything and everything from the UPS/ Dale Jarrett trailer with UPS all over it......
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »
This is a totally off-topic, but amusing story about how anal UPS is about their corporate image and trademark.

My dad works for UPS at Philly Int'l Airport (PIA) loading cargo planes. I think it was in the spring of 2005, a UPS cargo plane caught fire in midair and had to make an emergency landing at the UPS runways at PIA. Shortly after the incident, I had to drive him to work one day. The burned-out cargo plane was sitting aside at the UPS terminal, clearly visible from the public road that circles the airport, but it had blue tarps covering the damaged areas and the UPS logos. As if that could keep people from figuring out what company owned the white-and-brown 747...  ::)

That being said, I would love to find a high-res digital image of the old UPS logo that would be suitable for use on intermodal trailers in the late 1990s. UPS quickly obliterated all traces of it from their vehicles when they came out with the new one...
Sean

Atlanticflier

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 10:25:50 PM »
With today's laser printers, modelers can make their own UPS decals for equipment, just don't sell them !

ljudice

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
UPS is so image conscience that they cut up their custom built trucks so that can never
be re-used or sold.

You have probably heard they are incredibly anal about almost everything, like which way
a driver turns when picking a package up from the rack, etc...

Well I was once at one (or the only?) corporate UPS data center which was in Northern NJ
to consult. We went to the cafeteria for coffee, around 3pm.  The UPS person I was with said,
oh, you need a tray with your coffee. I said, no that's ok, I think I can manage to hold this
cup with my little fingers here. Well he said, NO, YOU NEED A TRAY with your coffee. Sure enough
a big sign before the checkout - UPS RULE #3222 YOU NEED A TRAY TO CHECKOUT EVEN JUST
A CUP OF COFFEE.

I couldn't believe it...

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 07:47:21 AM »
UPS is so image conscience that they cut up their custom built trucks so that can never
be re-used or sold.

You have probably heard they are incredibly anal about almost everything, like which way
a driver turns when picking a package up from the rack, etc...

Well I was once at one (or the only?) corporate UPS data center which was in Northern NJ
to consult. We went to the cafeteria for coffee, around 3pm.  The UPS person I was with said,
oh, you need a tray with your coffee. I said, no that's ok, I think I can manage to hold this
cup with my little fingers here. Well he said, NO, YOU NEED A TRAY with your coffee. Sure enough
a big sign before the checkout - UPS RULE #3222 YOU NEED A TRAY TO CHECKOUT EVEN JUST
A CUP OF COFFEE.

I couldn't believe it...

Yeah I did a 6 month tour there myself. They do have some off the wall rules...
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2899
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 07:53:52 AM »

bsoplinger

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 09:20:31 AM »
That being said, I would love to find a high-res digital image of the old UPS logo that would be suitable for use on intermodal trailers in the late 1990s. UPS quickly obliterated all traces of it from their vehicles when they came out with the new one...

Add a me too in here.

I hunted all over the web and couldn't find a good high res pic of it.