Author Topic: Nov Atlas Releases  (Read 1277 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
Nov Atlas Releases
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:15:22 PM »
Just received the Nov listing from Atlas.  L&HR C-420, Pierre Marquette ore car and a Trainman PS-1 Burlington box.
Bob

ljudice

Re: Nov Atlas Releases
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:05:13 PM »
If all this LHR, LV and CNJ stuff came out 20 years ago... well...

http://www.mountainrails.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2908
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:39:55 PM »
But Lou, I remember hearing from a little birdie that you're between layouts now.

Not that I want to run off anyone with a Blue brain, but if that's where the heart lies... ya gotta go.

ljudice

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »
Ed,

I think what it's coming down to for me is that there is a lot to sacrifice in running the clock that far back. I have very fond memories of Conrail - it's really the railroad that I railfanned a fair amount. I understand the way that railroad worked, the train symbols, etc. I keep saying
that if I did something else - and Atlas went and came out with the C40-8 and C40-8W I'd be really kicking myself. For the mid 1990's they really define the railroad. There are a couple of other models that are missing too - a good SD40-2 (which I now really wish Atlas would do)
and a release of the SD50's in the can opener scheme.

The layout idea for CR is my proto-freelanced idea of the remains of a once NJ-Ohio RR that was exists only in the middle section from Allentown to around Youngstown/Alliance. Focus on a section from around Clearfield to Williamsport. It's easy to work out how a railroad like this would figure

I also like NS and CSX of course.  I think Conrail models look best on a layout because of the solid blue color scheme. NS models tend to look like black hulks and the CSX scheme - I think that in normal layout lighting there is too much dynamic range between the subtle gray, dark blue and yellow for the mind to fully appreciate what is a rather nice scheme. The new CSX scheme I am not too fond of. On the positive side though - there are several superb Kato models for CSX - the AC4400, SD70MAC, SD40-2 (all very common in their fleet) - and the rarer SD70M.

My thought there is a proto-freelanced E/W line through West Virginia - along the lines of the ex C&O - a couple of semi parallel single track mains through the hollows, lots of tunnels, etc. 

At any rate that's my thinking as of this moment.

Lou

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:22:52 AM by ljudice »

ljudice

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:56:51 AM »
BTW - for the LV fans out there...

I noticed something in LV photos (I never got to railfan the LV). Do they ALWAYS match locos in lashups? I don't think I've seen many (if any) shots of mixed-up lashups of locos...

I know some railroads try to do this even today, but it seems as if it was the rule on the LV.

Lou

bsoplinger

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:17:13 AM »
BTW - for the LV fans out there...

I noticed something in LV photos (I never got to railfan the LV). Do they ALWAYS match locos in lashups? I don't think I've seen many (if any) shots of mixed-up lashups of locos...

Pretty much, although you can find the picture of a SW8 with a F unit with a PA with a ... well you get the idea.

I think its because mostly the locos didn't match well power wise unless it was the same loco. So you'll see GP9/18 lashups and SW8 lashups and C420 lashups and C626 lashups and GP38/38-2 lashups.

If you need, I'm sure I can find an online pic of a mixed lashup, but they are the rare pic indeed.