Author Topic: Just to make a statement  (Read 3338 times)

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
Just to make a statement
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »
I never planed to purchase one but after all that fuss and threathen letters to fellow modelers, I thought I make some of those cars for me just to make a statement that I don't really care about the attitude that could threaten eventually our hobby.

Wlal13again

• Crew
Re: Just to make a statement
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:12:21 PM »
Heck, I wish I had one..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:28:44 PM »
Well done, Roland. I'd love to see them. Please bring them up on your next visit.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:56:53 AM »
  Who Make the decals & lettering you used? I would make myself a car if I had lettering. Very nice work by the way.                      Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:18:28 AM »
Well done and a very nice job. Not being a lawyer (thank god) burt having many dealing with said profession I do not think that anyone in the Sask. Govenment nor at NARC has any complaint with you for making these cars/decals. There is no law against photographing a car on public property; no law that can stop you from using that photograph to make any other legal product from it for personal use; no law that prohibits you from exhibiting the product(s) in any public forum and, as long as you do not receive revenue from their image and/or it's use, then they can go and fly a kite..... Canadian law is not nearly as subject to mindless law suits as US law has become and I would suspect that the Sask Govt. lawyers would ask for a sobriety test from anyone who suggested legal action against an individual for making a few model train cars for his use.

If you sell them publically; then they may have a case, as would any rights holder, but for your own use, tell them to stcking to abusing the public trust and purse, something they are very, very good at and leave John Q. Railroader alone.....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:20:07 AM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

ljudice

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »
Don't even THINK about coming to this year's Saskatoon Fall Fair!!!   :P

http://www.mountainrails.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 04:41:27 PM »
Very nice work ..

engineshop

• Crew
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 06:27:44 PM »
  Who Make the decals & lettering you used? I would make myself a car if I had lettering. Very nice work by the way.                      Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

I used the official pdf drawing on the Saskatchewan Railroad web site to do the decals.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:05:26 PM »
Sweetness!! ;D

Russ

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »
...used their own web site to make the decals.... and the government wonders why Canadians think these guys are dumb as posts..... well duh....!  ???
Outstanding; simply outstanding !!!!!!! ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:22:56 PM »
Jesus!

The Saskastan Government is controlling the DISTRIBUTION of the paint scheme not the creation of it!
so unless your selling/giving them away publicly I doubt PWRS or Saskatchewan gives a crap...

by the way Roland, those cars look badass!
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

bsoplinger

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
That green looks pretty close, what brand paint and color did you use?

I've yet to get around to painting up 1 or two of these for myself. I have a bunch of undec cylindrical hoppers sitting here waiting on me to get them painted for the lifesaver scheme, so now I'll just have to paint at least 1 green and make the Saskastan hopper.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 11:04:22 AM »
Jesus!

The Saskastan Government is controlling the DISTRIBUTION of the paint scheme not the creation of it!
so unless your selling/giving them away publicly I doubt PWRS or Saskatchewan gives a crap...

by the way Roland, those cars look badass!
Can't see how they could touch you if you are giving them away. Selling yes, giving them to people... ??  I am not a lawyer though.

As usual Roland, top notch.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Ryan87

• Crew
  • Stay thirsty my friend...
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
Can't see how they could touch you if you are giving them away. Selling yes, giving them to people... ??  I am not a lawyer though.

Very gray area... Same way Metallica was able sue people for sharing there songs...
Swimming in a sea of Action Red...

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:15 PM »
I think you have to consider that any suit claiming copyright infringement or damages stemming from someone modeling the aforementioned cars would be in all likelyhood be heard in a Canadian court. Canadian courts are not nearly as easy to get punitive damages form; nor do they follow US preceedent with regard to civil suits and the liability for these kinds of matters.

Generally speaking the Sask Govt or NARC would have to prove that the production of the car by an individual was either a/ directly impacting their profitability due to competing with their rightful ownership of the trademark or b/ was causing them to lose money due to it's existance. The burden of proof is on the plantif; thus someone would have to prove that they had actual losses in order to gain a monitary judgement. I would even venture to say that the sale of a handful of cars would not be enough to warrent a legal battle in court.

The Government of Sask. isn't going to spend the taxpayers dollars on a lawsuit for something as small as this; nor would a fledgling model company as the lawyers fees would add up to more than the total value of the run. They may issue "poopy grams"; legal letters full of threats but in the end it makes no sense to take an individual to court for a small issue such as this; Canadian courts have proven that they take a dim view of these kinds of marginal cases.

I'd say that; given the jurisdiction issue the most likely outcome would be a war of paper between the company; government and the individual and that it would be highly unlikely to be followed up with a court case...... Of course we are talking about a provincial government that has the collective IQ of a piece of furnature so who the heck can say for sure.