Author Topic: who has this MicroMark table saw  (Read 2029 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +853
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com

bdeuster

Re: who has this MicroMark table saw
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:32:57 AM »
Tom,

This saw is identical to the Proxxon table saw which can be purchased on sale (and no shipping when applicable) from model expo for $299.00. I have one and it is as advertised. My only complaint is I am used to a full sized table saw and find my experience with the larger ones isnt helpful when using this much smaller version.

But that is my problem. The saw is well made and is much better suited to doing small, intricate work.... If you want to do really fine work, you need the highest tooth count blade you can get (48-60 teeth, I think) and as I recall the blade itself is about $50.00.

B

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +971
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:37:42 AM »
I have one , I like it . Some jobs like ripping a plate girder the long ways is made a lot easier with it . Be extra cautious using it , that blade will take your fingers off without slowing down . Buy the plastic filler blank plate for zero clearance to the blade . And lastly GO SLOWLY raising the blade through it .
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:50:17 AM by up1950s »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +794
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »
Zox has one .. I think

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:10:52 PM »
Zox has one .. I think

Nope. I have  a smaller one, from Minicraft. Here's a description: http://www.minicrafttools.com/mb410.html
It's also available in a combo deal with a suitable transformer: http://www.minicrafttools.com/kits.html

I have only good things to say about the several Minicraft tools I have--the small rotary tool (MB150), especially, will make you wonder how you ever put up with a clunky Dremel. All of the tools use the same transformer, so you only need one (variable-speed highly recommended) to power everything.

They also have the very great advantage that they're much less expensive than the equivalent Proxxon tools. :)

Unfortunately, the company went out of business, and the web site I link to above is about the only place that still has new Minicraft equipment available, so if you're at all interested you'll want to buy now.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

bdeuster

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:48:14 PM »
Wow, that Minicraft saw is small! With a table size of app 9.5" x 11" the Proxxon is almost 4 times the square area to work with. I cannot imagine working with the smaller saw because I must really pay attention when I work with the larger one as it is. As, Richie says, it is not a toy and it can do severe damage if you do not use it very carefully - even with the safety features in place and working.

The small size of both units requires real focus and skill - and the skill part is something I am still working on and will be for quite a while....  ::)  My hats off to you Zox. I would have no finger tips left with that little saw....  :o

Just something to consider....

B

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 09:39:05 PM »
My hats off to you Zox. I would have no finger tips left with that little saw....  :o

The thing is, you can't cut yourself on the Minicraft saw, unless you remove the guard.

Since the blade doesn't tilt or change height, the guard is in a fixed position, only 1/4 inch from the table, which not coincidentally is the maximum cutting depth of the saw. My pinky finger is about half an inch thick. So the only way I could get my finger into the blade would be by removing the guard.

(I just tried to stick my finger in it, to make sure, and I couldn't touch the blade with the guard in place. The saw was disconnected from the power supply, of course.)

Even with the guard removed, given the 1/4-inch maximum cutting depth, you'd have to make two passes to get all the way through a finger. :) But since you probably won't be using this saw to cut mortises or do any of the other woodworking cuts that require a saw guard to be removed, there's normally no good reason to remove the guard.

I know where you're coming from, though. Full-size table saws scare me to pieces. But this little critter's about as harmless as a power tool can get--certainly less dangerous than a rotary tool.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...