Author Topic: Naperville  (Read 2486 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
Naperville
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:50:41 PM »
Does anyone from the Railwire community plan to attend the Proto Modelers Seminar in Naperville?  10/25 - 28.  I'm attending this year for the first time.

Steve

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Naperville
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:59:08 PM »
looks like you may be our designated representative and photographer ;)

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:25:23 AM »
I'll be there -- wouldn't miss it for the world.

It's one of the highlights of my year, which says a lot about my social life . . .

I really do have to start associating with a better class of people . . .  ;D

Marty

Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:11:51 AM »
It always seemed like a great event.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:28:44 PM »
I'll be there as well.  Will be nice to finally meet you in person, Steve!

The N scalers usually get together for lunch/dinner on Friday... Bill Denton, Charlie Vlk, Bill Pearce, Bob Gallegos, Keith Kohlmann are regular attendees.  Lance Mindheim makes it out every couple of years also.  Jury is out on whether he'll be invited to the N scale dinner though, as the Monon layout is no more.    ;):P

There is a heavy HO bias, but the modeling quality transends scale, the clinics are usually great, and fun times are had by all.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 06:19:51 PM »
not sure if you are talking about Naperville, Il.....
but if you are... and are interested in a kinda but not really sidetrip... there is a Caterpillar factory there....
they make big toys for big boys :) and the tour is kinda intersting for those interested in how stuff is made...
the only railroad appeal it has is that they load some of their larget products on a loading dock with flat cars backed in to the factory.... that is about it.....
not really related at all to the topic i suppose.... but i thought i would toss my useless two cents in :).  tours are free and take 3 hours usually...

if interested in a contact #, please contact off line.  thanks
eric
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »
There is a heavy HO bias, but the modeling quality transends scale, the clinics are usually great, and fun times are had by all.

Well said, and that's what I've heard.  Have been meaning to go each year for some time now.  Finally decided this is the year, screwy business travel schedule be damned.  If you have room for one more at lunch/dinner, count me in.

Steve

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:18:06 PM »
not sure if you are talking about Naperville, Il.....
but if you are... and are interested in a kinda but not really sidetrip... there is a Caterpillar factory there....
they make big toys for big boys :) and the tour is kinda intersting for those interested in how stuff is made...
the only railroad appeal it has is that they load some of their larget products on a loading dock with flat cars backed in to the factory.... that is about it.....
not really related at all to the topic i suppose.... but i thought i would toss my useless two cents in :).  tours are free and take 3 hours usually...

if interested in a contact #, please contact off line.  thanks
eric

Sounds interesting Eric but this trip to Chicagoland will be packed.  I'll definitely keep it in mind for another time.  I really enjoy factory tours.

Steve

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:03:04 PM »
Lance's Monon is still there -- he just can't bring himself to cut into it just yet. Volunteered to help him ;D ;D, but his refused the assistance!!

I don't think he's going this year -- he didn't mention it on Saturday when I talked to him at Timonium.

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 11:50:47 PM »
Lance's Monon is still there -- he just can't bring himself to cut into it just yet. Volunteered to help him ;D ;D, but his refused the assistance!!

I don't think he's going this year -- he didn't mention it on Saturday when I talked to him at Timonium.

Marty

Rumors of Lance's layout's demise have been greatly exaggerated!  That's the best news I've heard all week, Marty.  Just make sure he keeps you out of his basement...

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 06:45:14 AM »
What's with all the people that want to cut their layouts up just after they appear in one of Allen Keller's "Great Model Railroads" videos?

Lance's was featured about 18 months ago.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 08:35:41 AM »
Curse?  I haven't really touched the CGW after it appeared in Great Model Railroads either, aside from a few operating sessions a year.  Skills improve, other modeling ideas pop-up, shiny objects attract a change in focus, etc.  I could easily see the merit in tearing it apart and starting fresh.