Author Topic: Nice looking Hay Bros Load at FRTS  (Read 2102 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +853
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +970
Re: Nice looking Hay Bros Load at FRTS
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:58:17 PM »
Tom , is it really the load ....... , or is it the rust thats really turning you on .

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:27:08 AM »
Hay Bros. loads are nicely done.  I have a bunch of scrap metal and stone loads from them.

Eric

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +3413
    • David's Modeling Journey
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:23 AM »
Hay Bros. loads are nicely done.  I have a bunch of scrap metal and stone loads from them.

I agree. Hay Bros. loads are top-notch. I especially like their coal loads. Normally I prefer to make my own, but when drop-ins look just as good as home-made, I'd rather spend that time doing something else.
“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse

Dupesy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:13:45 PM »
I don't know if you'd ever find a proto photo of that, but I can tell you that shippers and railroads will come up with all kinds of, uh, unusual ways to secure loads on cars.
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die

sparky

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
we're not talking MTL here- I'd bet that since Hay Bros. made this load, they probably have a pic of a prototype.  Maybe Bill Hay will chime in here...

haybros

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 06:59:28 PM »
There is indeed a B/W photo of this load. I believe it appeared in an MRC or MR (but it could also have been in one of the niche mags), I'm guessing sometime between 1985 (when I re-discovered the hobby and re-started my subscriptions) and 1995 or so when I discovered "computers". I have no idea what the article was about but I recall that it was one of those "sidebar" one column things in response to a question a reader posed. IIRC the doors in the picture were welded together and as you can see I have taken some creative license to be "creative" with the door arrangement because I think "it just looks cooler" when they are positioned as they are in the load we have made. I have no idea what kind of scrap was in the car because the picture was taken from a low angle, but it had to be light ( like barrels or auto bodies) otherwise the gondola would exceed the weight limit.
    I have wanted to do this load for years but have held off because I "was going to find the picture"...... But reality sets in when you realize that I have about 10 of those big 2 lid plastic tubs full of both my magazines and a 20 year collection I "inherited" when a friend of mine passed on and it may be years before I get to all of them (or any of them...).

Bill Hay
www.nscaleloads.com

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2130
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
That is a cool load.  I'm an inveterate scratch builder and Scotsman when it comes to loads, but I'd spring for that one.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:39:17 AM »
Bill, you definitely make some awesome loads.  Any chance you can do some scrap metal piles for a scrapyard scene?  Even the barrels would be cool piled up.   8)

Eric

haybros

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 07:57:11 PM »
Bill, you definitely make some awesome loads.  Any chance you can do some scrap metal piles for a scrapyard scene?  Even the barrels would be cool piled up.   8)

Eric

Thanks for the kind words. And the suggestion(s)....and yes there is a good chance I will be doing something in that genre soon....

Bill Hay
www.nscaleloads.com

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
Your glass cullet loads are great also.  Any chance that you could do the coke containers that fit into gons in the future.  See these in alot of photos.
Bob

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 09:15:19 AM »

Eric

Thanks for the kind words. And the suggestion(s)....and yes there is a good chance I will be doing something in that genre soon....

Bill Hay
www.nscaleloads.com

Outstanding!   8)