Author Topic: Boo, Hiss! Another delay, this time it's Walthers.  (Read 4120 times)

3rdrail

Boo, Hiss! Another delay, this time it's Walthers.
« on: September 02, 2007, 05:05:55 PM »
Just looked on the Walthers website and the USRA 0-8-0's have been pushed back from September 30 to October 31, 2007. Maybe there was lead in the paint?  :(

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +968
Re: Boo, Hiss! Another delay, this time it's Walthers.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 05:21:03 PM »
Or in their pants .

sparky

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 05:32:50 PM »
At least it's only a month-  PCM goes for 3-6 months at a time!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3160
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
More time to save  ;D

bsoplinger

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:12:27 PM »
That's odd, they had a full set of pre-production models at the NSC. Perhaps its one of those "to get our factory use cheap, you have to wait til we're not busy" and something came up and the factory got busy and pushed back production?

But they did look very nice. Actually very very nice. But call me cheap here, the way Walthers does things, I'll just wait to buy it when its on sale. The July and August sale fliers had the roundhouse, modern coaling tower, machine shop and roundhouse expansion bays all were on sale at half price. So I got the roundhouse, 2 expansions, the coaling tower and machine shop for 120 bucks vs the 245 they wanted when they got released last year.

People regularly post about the loco sales that Walthers has. Since I want Lehigh Valley steam, I'll have to strip or repaint whatever I get and apply my own decals, so I don't care if what roads are on sale, just that they are on sale ;)

Of course I'm sure I'm not the only person who buys from Walthers like this and this leads to Walthers saying "Things don't sell well in N-scale" but it just seems silly when waiting, usually a year or less, gets you the item at half price. And I can get it from my LHS at that price, which is a good thing vs getting it for 75%-85% of the new price by buying it online somewhere right when it comes out.

jlong

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »
Of course I'm sure I'm not the only person who buys from Walthers like this and this leads to Walthers saying "Things don't sell well in N-scale" but it just seems silly when waiting, usually a year or less, gets you the item at half price. And I can get it from my LHS at that price, which is a good thing vs getting it for 75%-85% of the new price by buying it online somewhere right when it comes out.

Walthers prices are crazy to begin with. They expect to get Kato money for Life Like. I got my LL berk off the Walthers site for $85 blow out last winter. That was a nice price for a nice engine but it certainly isn't worth the ridiculous MSRP. I got my money on Kato's Daylight set. The pre order discount prices are a bargain and they will get no cheaper after they come out if they live up to the Kato name.

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:21:09 PM »
I see the Y3 2-8-8-2's have been delayed as well. Until New Years Eve...January 2008.

gunner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 12:56:54 AM »
I can't complain about the short term delays.  Think about the PCM M1 and H2a's, we've been waiting a few years for these models and are still being strung along.  A few months doesn't hurt as much from a recognised producer of product over vapor offerings.

Bob

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +231
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »
no big deal to me - at least we know they are coming. ;)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2902
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 06:55:22 PM »
Indeed, lets the credit card heal a bit.

And me? 0-8-0? Why, PRR never had any, and they're not a huge "Normal Rockwell / Lucius Beebe shortline" candidate, so what gives?

Well, the FEC (my secret love) had a number of them, so I guess I'm in for one undec that will proudly wear "Flagler Lines" on the tender.

Now I just need someone to come out with heavyweight cars in the Trainman price range.

Oooh, that'd be a great idea...

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +231
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 09:24:38 PM »
I'm gonna wait and try to grab one on sale some time. To kitbash into a N&W S1.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:42:59 AM »
One month? No biggie. The first release of the HO scale Canadian Bulkhead flatcars were delayed by a month or two from the original announced date. Production and shipping can and does delay things. They still hit the market in a reasonable time and man are they great.  I got 10 from the first run (a couple need some renumbering) and I'm waiting for a couple of the paint schemes in the next release this fall. :)

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
Well, the FEC (my secret love) had a number of them, so I guess I'm in for one undec that will proudly wear "Flagler Lines" on the tender.

Ed, what's wit dat FEC stuff?  Your guilty pleasure?  Sounds like a good blog topic...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2902
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:15:37 PM »
That IS a good idea!

Yeah, it's a semi-guilty pleasure.

It's funny though, if I add it all  up, I think I have almost as many FEC engines (motors in their terms), as I do CR stuff.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3160
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 04:44:02 AM »
It looks like they have added a second run already:
http://www.blwnscale.com/Life-Like%200-8-0.htm

Did IHB have any of these? I thought theirs were some odd ball 3 cylinder.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ihb/ihb-s100s.jpg