Author Topic: electrical pickup LL 2-8-8-2  (Read 2119 times)

Day One

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
electrical pickup LL 2-8-8-2
« on: August 11, 2007, 03:30:28 PM »
I'm starting to run out of ideas on a project I've been working on for a while now.
I've installed a Loksound micro decoder into the tender of a LL 2-8-8-2. The speaker and decoder reside in the tender and I have wires running between the loco and tender for electrical pickup, motor, and headlight. My problem seems to stem from the electrical pickup. When the loco and tender are sitting still I can usually (8 in 10 times) get the lights and sounds to function. But as soon as this thing tries to move it acts like it's not getting power. I constantly have to tap it with my finger to get it to move. If I simply put my finger in front of the loco and let it push against my finger and spin it's drivers in place it seems to work OK but again, as soon as it is free to move it cuts out and stalls every 1/2 inch or so.

Are these loco's poor runners to start with? I admit I never really test ran it when I bought it becuase I didn't have a layout to test with at the time. Are there things people have done to improve the electrical pickup on these things? One would think that with 28 wheels on the track with power pickup that this unit shouldn't have this problem.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 03:33:38 PM by Day One »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
Re: electrical pickup LL 2-8-8-2
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:56:55 PM »
I gotta ask, are the track and wheels clean?

I have a LL 2-8-4 and it has never given me any electrical problems.

Day One

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
yes track is clean and wheels are brand new never used clean.

Anyone here ever done a DCC install on one of these?

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »
FWIW, my LL Y3 runs great. I know this doesn't help. :-[

rmansker

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 09:51:11 PM »
Brand new never used doesn't mean they are clean! You'd be suprised at how much oil or oxidation there is on new wheels. Use some alcohol on a thin rag set on the track ( do it one driver set at a time so you'll still be picking up power from the other driver set) and let it spin for a minute- you'll have several sets of nice black marks from the wheels I bet! DCC is more sensitive to dirty wheels / track than DC :P.

Good luck!

Day One

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 04:56:23 AM »
TRANSOFRMED!!!

Wow, thanks rmansker! I assumed since this was new out of the box that the wheels would be clean. Apparently not! I took a short strip of paper towel dipped in rubbing alcohol and placed it on one rail at a time to clean each side of drivers like you suggested. A lot of crud came off those wheels! The loco is creeping around the layoutat speed step 2 now with no issues!

Thanks!

rmansker

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »
You're welcome! :)