Author Topic: New Project: Trains of the NCR  (Read 2501 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7949
    • Conrail 1285
New Project: Trains of the NCR
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:18:26 AM »
Last night I got the idea that it'd be fun to start figuring out what traffic on the NCR would actually look like, so I went to the Traingifs site (http://www.frograil.com/gifs/gifs.htm) and got to work.

I've realized a few things in working it out. I really don't have quite enough info to do many of the trains I'll be planning on (like figuring out the Bayview block on BAEL, the BAyview to ELkhart road freight), so I started simple, with the MMID interchange job (that would come up the still in service Frederick Branch to York).

Here it is:

It generally needs two engines to haul the cement loads and for reliability. This version has one of the MMID GP38s on it, which it didn't have yet in 85, but given my history with these engines, I may stretch the truth just a touch. It also has one of the ex-BN SD24s that the MMID got rid of, but given the extra miles they'd have under this scenario, I'm keeping them on. I may also do an MMID FP7, since they had a few of those too.

The first block of cars are the MMID's bread and butter: Cement from Union Bridge. By interchanging with CR in York, the MMID isn't captive to CSX, so you'd see some CR cars in here as well as the regular Chessie ones.

The last block are a number of empty cars from the various building supplies companies that they service.

Bringing up the rear is a WM inspired cabin car. It should be a bay window, but I couldn't find one at the time I did this and didn't feel like creating it. I may do this anyway though.

3rdrail

Re: New Project: Trains of the NCR
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »
Now, things changed under Conrail, but under PRR and PC, the only through freight using the NC was the TrucTrain. Everything else from and to the West used the Port Road, because they were electrically powered with E44's or P5a's between Bay View and Enola.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:38:06 AM »
That's actually the main change in my version of reality. Thanks to Agnes, instead of the NCR getting wiped out, the Port Road did, and the NC was deemed a safer bet (since it didn't, you know, cling to a cliff along a river) and included less NEC running (which only turned out to be a plus when AMTRAK was created).

But that does explain why the Port Road was always the dominant line to Baltimore, even when it's out of the way.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5391
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 12:02:37 PM »
So, you're saying that the NC would have maintained the Frederick Secondary into Keymar for the interchange with the MMID?
This would be a stretch, because the MMID was born to run that line from Walkersville to Taneytown.  If they hadn't been successful building traffic there, they never would have been able to buy the WM east sub from Chessie.

Recognizing that your scenario already requires a fertile imagination, I suppose that's easy enough to overlook, but your tangled web of deceit is taking in more and more territory...

Why not slip the clock back to January 31, 1968, run passengers, truck trains and locals, and use the Frederick Secondary to interchange with the WM?  No fuss, no muss! ;D

You know you want to...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »
Take a look at the map I created.

My idea was to have CR hold onto the Frederick Secondary to Hanover, or at least Spring Grove (for the paper plant traffic), and have the MMID owning the rest of it.

I believe that most of that track is gone now, but I figured that giving the MMID the opportunity to have two competing roads interchanging would justify the expansion.

And no, I'm not going that far back in time. I'm too into -2s...

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5391
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:04:22 PM »
Okay, again, maybe I'm splitting too many hairs... but the Frederick Secondary in Maryland I believe was/is owned by the Great People's Republic of Maryland with MMID as the designated operator.  At least that's the way most of the PC spin-off's were handled.  I don't know who took ownership of the PA section of the line, although at one time the M&P operated to Taneytown (I think...)

Anyhoo MMID does own the right of way from Westminster to Highfield, and the State owns the rest.

Hope this is marginally useful information.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 09:37:23 PM »
Recognizing that your scenario already requires a fertile imagination, I suppose that's easy enough to overlook, but your tangled web of deceit is taking in more and more territory...

Why not slip the clock back to January 31, 1968, run passengers, truck trains and locals, and use the Frederick Secondary to interchange with the WM?  No fuss, no muss! ;D

You know you want to...

Ed,

You're layout progress post took me to the 12/85 website.  (Nice creek level shot of the GP btw.  The darkened air vents/grilles set the loco off nicely)  I re-read the Northern Central stuff.  I agree with Lee.  Dash 2s or not, why invent a history when the actual story will likely turn out to be at least, if not more, interesting.  Lots of people around who still remember and worked in that era too, which means lots of reference material is out there waiting to be mined.  I think you're missing an opportunity.

Steve

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 09:41:22 PM »
The problem, in this case, is that history really isn't as good as fiction.

Toward the end, the NCR saw something like 2 freight trains daily, and maybe that many passenger trains.

Hardly the booming transportation system I'm into.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 09:56:31 PM »

Hardly the booming transportation system I'm into.

Or at least the transportation system you THINK you're into.   ;)  And you'll start construction on this monster when, 5, 10 years from now?  I predict what you think you want to build and what you'll have time, space, money to build will not match up.  Time will tell of course.  At least you have a layout in the here and now.  Better than I did at your stage in life.  Carry on with the dream.  I'll say no more.   :)

Steve

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 10:05:10 PM »
Heh, ain't THAT the truth... this monster will probably never completely happen.

But I'm thinking about doing chunks of it over the next years. I think York would be a good start. It'd be an entire layout unto itself.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 06:50:36 AM »
Heh, ain't THAT the truth... this monster will probably never completely happen.

But I'm thinking about doing chunks of it over the next years. I think York would be a good start. It'd be an entire layout unto itself.

And that's probably all you'd need.  Make sure you build it in transportable sections.  You already understand the  basics (& beyond) from working on your current layout.  The next project will likely not be something you'll not want to part with easily.  Unless of course your interests change.   ;)

Steve