Author Topic: They did it again! 2 versions of the same new prototype.  (Read 4413 times)

3rdrail

They did it again! 2 versions of the same new prototype.
« on: July 11, 2007, 01:09:47 PM »
Y'all recall Micro-Trains' announcement of a new steel drop-bottom gon for it's 35th anniversary model? Well, guess what Trainworx has just announced? Apparently the identical car, only its will come both as a kit and RTR.

It's clear the manufacturers don't discuss their plans with one another!  Nice car, but unlike boxcars, I don't think two more drop bottom gons are going to be big moneymakers.  ::) :-[

see: http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/Trainworx%20Pages/Trainworx_Drop-Bottom-Gondola_Product-Page.htm

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +3405
    • David's Modeling Journey
Re: They did it again! 2 versions of the same new prototype.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 01:26:16 PM »
Nice car, but unlike boxcars, I don't think two more drop bottom gons are going to be big moneymakers.

That's for sure.
“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2125
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
I agree.  I have no use for that car, although there are surely those who do. 

I don't know why we can't get more variants of a 70 Ton hopper.  The only ones I'm aware of are the old MDC cars, now offered by Athearn, and the ancient Trix/Aurora/Model Power offset side cars.  Bowser makes some PRR specific cars, but the only one I'm familiar with is the 4 bay car, only one of which ever rode WM rails.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +252
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »
Trainworx will have more roadnames and car numbers out in the first release than MTL will do in the next 5 years.  If anyone should bow out, it should be MTL.  This is, of course, assuming that they are both the same prototype.
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
They are actually two entirely different cars.  The Micro-Trains car is a 40 footer while the Trainworx car is a 46 footer.  Pat at Trainworx had originally planned on making the 40' car but had to change his plans at the last minute when Micro-trains announced their car.  Pat sent out an email to a lot of us D&RGW modelers, as well as posted on the N scale D&RGW Yahoo list, asking us if we'd be interested in the 46' car instead.  We responded with a resounding "YES" since this car is a cornerstone of the Rio Grande freight car fleet.  Plus Trainworx will release these in dozens of road numbers for D&RGW.  Micro-Trains on the other hand will most likely sit on these after the initial release, like they do with all their body styles, and rarely release them in the future.  Simply put, because of this practice, other manufactures don’t put much stock in Micro-Trains releases when deciding what to release.  They are a bit of a non-entity.  The drop bottom gon market is obviously small enough that shifting the prototype a bit should help Pat's sales.  Pat is a rabid Rio Grande-o-phile so though his profits may not be as large he seems to manufacture what he can use personally and what other Rio Grande modelers ask for.  The D&RGW had plenty of both the 40 and 46 footers, so these are indeed good days.

Erik
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 01:48:05 PM by Erik W »
My D&RGW layout  . . . and other stuff
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/drgw55/

3rdrail

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 01:46:43 PM »
Well, Erik, that sounds a little better, but I still question the need for four slightly different prototype drop bottom gondolas in N scale. I am aware these were a mainstay of the D&RGW fleet, but that was one of the big ways its fleet differed from other railroads. Curious, did UP and D&RGW have both 40 ft. and 46 ft. versions of this car? Both Trainworx and MTL will be selling a UP car.

While MTL may not make as many versions or road numbers, it is much more widely distributed than Trainworx.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »
interesting. it sure looks like a 40 footer. 8 panels.

Trainworx:

Microtrains:

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:54:33 PM »

This is from the DRGW.org website.
72000-73699 154 GS 46-00 2410 GATC -53= 54 . Coal, Stone, Beets  2 7 rib, 5 ID ends

Erik

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 02:11:38 PM »
Wow, I would much rather see MT retool their PS-1 with wider doors, a la the Kadee models.   :'(

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »

This is from the DRGW.org website.
72000-73699 154 GS 46-00 2410 GATC -53= 54 . Coal, Stone, Beets  2 7 rib, 5 ID ends

Erik

I'd love to see a pic, but can't seem to find one online.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 02:42:34 PM by NandW »

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »
I still question the need for four slightly different prototype drop bottom gondolas in N scale. I am aware these were a mainstay of the D&RGW fleet, but that was one of the big ways its fleet differed from other railroads.

There probably isn't a need for that many.  I think you have to take into account that Trainworx is not a manufacturer in the normal sense.  Pat has a full time non-train related job.  The motivation for his products is to bring Rio Grande specific prototype products to market.  As he's told me before he just wants to break even, since his primary source of income is elsewhere.  So as far as doing drop bottom gondolas, if he weren't producing them he wouldn't be producing anything else in their place.  I agree with you though, aside from a handful or railroads that used them heavily, drop bottom gons were few and far between.

Erik

Erik W

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »
I'd love to see a pic, but can't seem to find one online.

Here's a 46 foot one.

Erik

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +965
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
I will get at least 12 , maybe more of the Trainworx UP DB gons . I have been told by them that they intend to do a run of 24 numbers for the UP , and maybe that goes for the other roads they are planning on as well . A great MOW car for any late steam to current day era . Much easier to decal than the composite DB's is a plus . 

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 03:24:23 PM »
Thanks Eric! ;D If the Trainworx is that car, maybe I can use one for a stand-in for an N&W G-11!

http://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/search.php

I know it's not even close, but closer than the MT version.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +666
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 03:26:49 PM »
The Kadee and MTL PS1s were different?
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'