Author Topic: 3rdRail: This one's for you  (Read 1610 times)

Powersteamguy1790

3rdRail: This one's for you
« on: June 24, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »
A PRR L1s Mikado # 780 on the upper level of the JJJ&E. There is a ESU Lok-Sound decoder and speaker installed in the tender.

Stay cool and run steam..... 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 08:59:08 PM by Powersteamguy1790 »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: 3rdRail: This one's for you
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Bob, you not only stay cool and run steam, you're running some really nice work there.

Lee

Stay really cool and kitbash the hell out of your Kato! 8) 8) 8)
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

3rdrail

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »
I'm far from the only Pennsy fan on here, and a lot of non-PRR folks have built the GHQ model. My own is about half done. A few years ago I needed some .040" styrene for it and by the time I bought some in Orlando the Mike had gone to the bottom of the "to do" list. Once I get the bridge finished and the main line completed, perhaps I'll move it up and see what it will haul with that pewter boiler and the traction tire. I've got three passing sidings that can hold at least 30 car trains.

How does yours pull on that 2 percent?

Powersteamguy1790

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 10:33:42 PM »

How does yours pull on that 2 percent?

Gregg:

I built two L-1s'. This one will pull 30+ cars easily up the 2% grade. (40' boxcars with metal wheel sets). I have four reverse loops on the JJJ&E. The smallest reverse loop will hold 30 cars plus the loco and tender. It would pull around 40 cars it that reverse loop was by passed.

With diesels, I usually pull 28 cars with a ABBA configuration taking into account the size of the smallest reverse loop. I've placed resistors on some of the axles of the cars for block occupancy detection.

On the second L-1s, I installed a second set of traction tires on the # 2 driver. It is a stronger puller. The added weight of the boiler casting really makes a difference. There is no loss of electrical conductivity with the addition of the second set of traction tires.

I also have a pair of NP W-5's (GHQ Conversion kit) using a long tender to accommodate the Lok-Sound decoder and speaker. The performance of these two are the same as the L-1s.

Stay cool and run steam...... 8) 8)