Author Topic: I could get into the NYS&W...  (Read 2376 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
I could get into the NYS&W...
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »
Look at this, two SD70ms bracketing an ALCo Century & a GP18.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=183931

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
Re: I could get into the NYS&W...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »
can't deny - that's cool. 8)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

3rdrail

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:55:05 PM »
The Susquehanna has been an interesting railroad for a long time. It ran these before RDC's when it ran passenger service:

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:25:26 AM »
I can fudge some NYS&W power on the Boston line for run-through power. Nothing like a GP18 and F45 working alongside a SD80MAC.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

RS-27

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 03:43:08 AM »
I grew up with the SuzyQ 100 yards down the street (Passaic Branch).  It was one of the first class 1s to be completely dieselized when we entered WWII (RS-1 & S-2s).  The govt took the RS-1s and had them converted to RSD-1 and sent them to the Trans-Iranian Railway to get war supplies to Russia.  The Suzy-Q went back to steam,  and I _think_ I remember steam but would have been a toddler at the time.

As 3rdrail posted, they had Streamliner service back in 1940!  (Built by ACF, later traded in on RDCs).  When they wanted to drop the commuter service, they sold their stainless steel coaches (non-AC) to Saudi Arabia, their 4 RDC's later went to CNJ. 

Even though they were in bankruptcy, they didn't get sucked into Conrail.  When one of the NYSW pile trestles in the Meadowlands (NJ) caught fire, a bunch of Conrail honchos were out there, deciding what should be done to repair the damages.  When someone told them it wasn't their railroad, they didn't believe it.  They thought everything in NJ belonged to them.  (There was some B&O/SIRT trackage that wasn't CR also).

The current NYS&W owes it's existence to Walt Rich/Delaware Ostego System who bought it in the 80's and got trackage rights on the ex_EL lines.   C-430s, doublestack trains, ex-BN F45s and SD45s, B40-8s, running the D&H...  quite a wild ride for something CR didn't want.

Bob in IDaho