Author Topic: F7B + Sound  (Read 2388 times)

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
F7B + Sound
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:35:54 PM »
Quick question for long term planning purposes...

Which F7B unit (Bachmann, Kato etc) is the roomiest for fitting a sound decoder and speaker ? I intend to run the unit as a dummy so cutting down the frame is a possibility, I've heard that the Bachmann ones don't have much space is this true ?

Simon

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: F7B + Sound
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:44:24 PM »
The Bachmann B unit uses the same mechanism as the A, only sans light bulb.  It pretty much fills the shell, but it wouldn't take much to cut out enough room for a sound chip.

The main problem you'll have with the Bachmann drive is the trucks are far from low friction.  They are inside bearing with wipers, and even if you remove the main gear, there is still a lot of resistance.

Depending on what you cut off, you may also have to build some blocking to hold the shell level, as it rests on the top of the mechanism.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:04:19 AM »
  Best B Unit to fit sound into is the original Bachmann dummy F-9 B unit which can still be found at Swaparamas has pleanty of inside room, the body detailing can be improved with wire grabs, etched side grills, has plastic frame and very free rolling trucks. Just my suggestion.                                             Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah .

SirTainly

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »
Thanks guys.

Lee, how easy do you think it would be to mount the Bachmann shell/fuel tank onto ah Atlas GP9 frame, which would obvious be much better rolling?

Nate, the item I'm thinking of modelling was an F7b based unit, so I suspect the F9 shell wouldn't be correct, could you put one of these plastic chassis under and F7 shell ?

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
  Maybe,but the F-7 shell may be a bit narrower than the dummy frame.                                                                                                                                       Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

SirTainly

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:08:06 PM »
If I'm going to have to modify a frame, might as well be modifying an Atlas one so I can use Atlas trucks that are pretty free rolling and have power pickup. RS3 frame give the same 30' spacing.

Ok so anyone got a Bachmann F7B they want to part with ?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:23:37 PM »
Why not an old Minitrix B unit?  From what I remember it had a lot of room.  I don't think it had power pickup though.

Jason

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1557
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
Why not an old Minitrix B unit?  From what I remember it had a lot of room.  I don't think it had power pickup though.

Jason
The Trix dummy F7B trucks are live, you just need to figure a way to connect to the top of the metal housing.  I tried unsuccessfully to tap in for a brass screw,  pretty hard metal for a hand held tap.

nwline

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »
Looks like a deals in the work's ( via trading post ) , how about keeping us updated with some photos as you go . What type of sound unit / decoder are you going to use ?
I was thinking of doing a B unit w/sound to run as a slug between my 2 CNW GP-35's.

Looking forward to your updates.
Dave