Author Topic: Challengers Yet?  (Read 11843 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Challengers Yet?
« on: March 01, 2007, 02:55:09 AM »
  Challengers yet? I understand they have arrived at several So. California dealers. I know that mine on order from Caboose Hobbies in Denver won't get to me in time to use at the annul March Hostelers Festival Model Railroad show in Ogden, Utah held at Union Station (The Utah State Railroad Museum) this weekend. Feel Free to Post here if you recieve yours with reviews or over at the other Challenger thread. I will post here if and when I recieve mine.                                                                                     Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah .

UP_Phill

Re: Challengers Yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 05:33:31 AM »
Mine should arrive from Chuck baby next Tuesday.  ;D

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 06:39:45 AM »
expect mine about 10 days after Chuck sends it. ;)

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
I took some larger images of the UP and Rio Grande Challenger units for those that are curious or interested.

A couple of thought after having these for a few days now...

- They are extremely well done in regards to detailing throughout. Even the inside of the cab is detailed and painted. Dare I say Athearn has set a new benchmark on n-scale steam.

- Sound is decent. The sound isn't as good as what you'll get out of a SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder (Tsunami is 16bit sound which is something new). I know this is very subjective and everyone has a different opinion so I'll leave it at that.

- The loco runs well. Crawls nice and runs fairly quiet. I haven't pulled any long strings of cars yet so I'll have to report back on that. It does however have traction tires on two sets of driving wheels and the unit has a lot of weight to it - considerably more than the Lifelike 2-8-8-2.

- Atlas Code 55 flex track will be a problem for this loco. The tender and trailing trucks on the loco don't have lowprofile wheels on them - they ARE within NMRA standards for depth, however most manufacturers seem to be using a lower profile wheel these days. So the Athearn Challenger tender and trailing truck chatter across Atlas Code 55 flex rail. I have an email into Northwest Short Line to let them know and see what they recommend. I also emailed Athearn to let them know about this and also recommend that in future runs of this loco and others they consider using lower profile wheel sets.

Lastly I noticed something reading the manual that may be very important regarding future runs of this unit. There are n-scale part numbers listed for *other* units they haven't run yet that include:

UP

- #3943 coal with smoke deflectors
- #3977 two-tone grey w/oil tender
- #3964 all-black w/coal tender
- #3975 two-tone grey w/oil tender
- #3958 all-black w/coal tender
- #3983 two-tone grey w/oil tender
- undecorated UP late

Rio

- undecorated

Clinchfield

- #672 with single stack

Obviously there is no guarantee that they will run these in the future, but it looks like they currently plan to as they are listed in the printed color manual that comes with the current units. :D

Here are photos:

(note that number board has since been adjusted and is now straight)

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 03:18:47 PM »

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 03:33:54 PM »
Pulled 47 MT and Atlas cars right out of the box.  Haven't had time to try adding more cars.

A winner!
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 03:50:22 PM »
WOW, WOW, WOW and WOW again
that is probably close to pulling an accurate UP steam passenger consist.  Wonder what they would pull with a GHQ metal boiler on them?  Wonder If I own that many cars?  Its a great time to be alive...
Support fine modeling

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »
I would love to get one of these.  Is this not the most amazing release yet?

UP_Phill

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 05:31:02 PM »
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!! Just received my Chuck pack shipping notification. I just hope that Qantas or United pull there fingers out and get it over here quick smart!  ;D

3rdrail

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »
I would love to get one of these.  Is this not the most amazing release yet?

Yeah, the ones that moved from the Rio Grande to the Clinchfield moved over the Pennsy from E. St. Louis to Columbus, OH. Too bad I don't model that line. Could one have gotten lost?? Ohhh, temptation...

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »
you'd expect amazing for $300. looks really nice. 8)

Sure glad N&W didn't have any! (at least my wallet is)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 06:43:53 PM »
But just think, if they had left off the bells and whistles, these would be selling for $30 ;)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 06:48:57 PM »
For $300 I have a box full of parts that when assembled barely waddles down the track, the box it came in says Con-Cor 2-10-2.  :(

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 06:58:17 PM »
For $300 I have a box full of parts that when assembled barely waddles down the track, the box it came in says Con-Cor 2-10-2.  :(

Does it have a bell and a whistle?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 07:15:08 PM »
Yeah a bell and a whistle, the shell is great and breaks down into about 25 pieces! Great for bashing.

It makes a nice shelf display  :'(