Author Topic: York PA WM Freight Station  (Read 10952 times)

3rdrail

Re: York PA WM Freight Station
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2007, 07:51:52 PM »
There were two warehouses served by rubber tired tractors out of Calvert St. The first was Terminal Warehouse, the closest to downtown and the harbor and was the end of the PRR street trackage. The sidings went into the building, were curved, and designed for 36 ft. cars. One could spot 40 footers carefully. Imagine this quit being rail served not longer after I left in 1966. The other was a humongous Merchants Warehouse, just East of the yard, one block South of the Maryland State Pen. Its siding came off the middle of the street, swung left to the left curb and then crossed over the center track to get into the warehouse on the right. It was capable of handling 50 ft. mechanical reefers and did regularly, mostly orange juice. At Thanksgiving and Christmas, frozen turkeys were received and PRR railroad police had to keep a 24 hour a day watch on these cars. These were silver NP cars while the OJ was orange FGE's.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »
From what I've been told, PRR lost part of the flour trade when WM opened a bulk transfer facility, which I think was somewhere between Fulton and Arlington.  They got most of the flour coming into Baltimore with that.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

keystonecrossings

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Middle Division Musings
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2007, 07:47:20 AM »
From what I've been told, PRR lost part of the flour trade when WM opened a bulk transfer facility, which I think was somewhere between Fulton and Arlington.  They got most of the flour coming into Baltimore with that.

Lee

Not sure of the era, or if it played into what you are saying, but the PRR had a pretty significant facility that experienced a dust explosion that destroyed it. I think it was on the north side of the river.
Jerry Britton, PRRT&HS #6111
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com
Keystone Crossings - http://pennsyrr.com

3rdrail

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2007, 09:13:19 AM »

Lee

Not sure of the era, or if it played into what you are saying, but the PRR had a pretty significant facility that experienced a dust explosion that destroyed it. I think it was on the north side of the river.

Lee's talking about Baltimore and Jerry's talking about Philadelphia if my memory serves me correctly. And Lee, the PRR couldn't have lost the flour move to the WM I was referring to, since the WM already handled it via PRR-WM. Perhaps you have forgotten, but the two did maintain joint routes. I just took it away from the N&W at Buffalo - a much shorter move.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »
Jerry's partially right, the PRR had a Baltimore facility close to where the Inner Harbor is now (Pier 7 or 8 maybe) that was destroyed in a fire. I remember some great photos from the Evening Sun. I don't know the details of how that fire came about, whether by dust explosion or some other means (usually arson in Baltimore), but it did get destroyed in such a way.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
There are drawings for the President Street station on the HABS site as well. Along with B&O's Point of Rocks and Harpers Ferry stations, the B&O Camden Yards freight depot, and Erie's Susquehanna, PA passenger station and hotel. It's a great resource for photos and, sometimes, drawings.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.