Author Topic: Putting My Head in the Lion's Mouth...  (Read 6303 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2142
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Putting My Head in the Lion's Mouth...
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:59:57 PM »
Submitted for your approval...

http://www.wmrywesternlines.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/River_1.jpg

http://www.wmrywesternlines.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Google_Earth_View.jpg

The first image you can see, the second two are nearly full sized, so I'll let you link directly.  I want your feedback.  Tell me what you think about any aspect of the images you'd like to comment on.  The lighting, the color, the details, the models.  Anything.

Before I turn you loose, though, allow me to confess to the following sins:  I didn't sweep up the surface of the water before I shot these, so there's lots of "flotsam", mostly green ground foam.  There's also a schmear of sculptamold that somehow got on the side of the bridge.

A couple comments on the lokies.  The lead unit is custom painted, everything else is pretty much factory.  I have not yet detailed the F unit's with their proper winterization hatches, coolant tubing and 5-chime horns.

Okay, let me have it!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3162
Re: Putting My Head in the Lion's Mouth...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:12:38 AM »
In the photo above the only "bad" comment I can think of is about the neon blue HID headlight, but that is Atlas' fault not yours.

I like the whole scene and whole layout. Can wait to see the coal mine/shay (Vindex?) area added. I wish I had that much done on my sheet of pink foam!

Walkercolt

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:13:13 AM »
I like the photos. I think you did a very good job and the foam in the river looks quite natural to me. I might have to pack up my camera if you can do this good all the time... :)

KelNScale

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:45:45 AM »
I agree... Looks great, except that blue LED..

Kel

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:51:38 AM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:25:13 AM by Robbman »

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:53:48 AM »
The quality of the pictures are good.  The lighting of the sky in the first link, over towards the left, is a little bit dark, but no biggie.

The lead loco in the aerial shot gets a little lost, to my eye, because its color is pretty close to that of the water.

The water is great looking. Really nice. What did you use to create it?

The rocks are also way above average. They remind  me of the old swimming hole I went too when I lived in Pa.

The bridge pier could use a little weathering.

Hope this helps

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 01:02:46 AM »
The sky will be an ongoing struggle, since the layout is in my attic and the "sky" is at a 45 degree angle to the layout...  I also did tinker with the track lights to focus on the subject, which left some dark spots on the ceiling.  I didn't use any extra photo lighting.  My scene is mid-summer, so figure a hellzapoppin' thunder bumper is brewing up in the distance!

The rocks, for the most part, are actual rocks gathered on my last trip to WM country.

I agree, the pier is the next thing to work on.

Next batter!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

bsoplinger

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »
Looks pretty nice to me. I remember that pic of the pink foam and wide open space with just a bare bridge, quite the change ;)

But I have to agree with others, yikes, that blue LED!  8)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +719
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 01:34:37 AM »
Give that Helicon software a try.

Just so you know, the new verion of the Helicon Focus demo puts the text right in the middle instead of the bottom now.

Jason

kevdog77

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 09:59:10 AM »
Lee,

Your scenery looks terrific. Your water is very realistic, even with the schmootz on it.

In the first picture, the loco looks a little out of focus to me. It may be the light, but it just doesn't look crisp.

I'd try a little weathering on your telegraph poles. They look a little too uniform.

The second picture rocks. My only suggestion is to weather the bridge pier, as others have suggested.

The third picture also looks great. I think the bridge deck could use some distressing, but that's about it.

All in all, beautiful pictures, man.

Kev

3rdrail

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 09:59:34 AM »
Lee, I particularly like the twin pole "pole line" - often seen, seldom modeled, and you have absolutely nailed the look of a mountain river's riverbanks. I agree that the central pier needs weathering - dirt and vegetation would have managed to gain at least a foothold on the flat part.

The blue LED? Use an orange Sharpie to coat it. Walkercolt first gave me this idea and it works! A quick, cheap fix.  ;D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +971
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »
Oh , do I love those shots . Your bridge detail and alignment is perfect . Everything except for the blue head lite glow if wonderfully museum quality . Outstanding .

umtrr-author

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
A moment of recognition that Gregg and I agree on something  :D

The first thing that caught my eye was the dual line pole.  A great job on that...

I am a proponent of "overall effect"  and yours is very good.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 10:46:45 AM »
Okay, when I went upstairs to wake up Andy this morning, I took a couple minutes and addressed some of the issues.  First, you'll note that the offending LED has been removed from the view, although as soon as I uploaded these, I realized the rear LED on the same unit is an old green/yellow...  ::)

Anyhoo, that notwithstanding, I added some weathering to the bridge and pier, and tidied up the water a bit.
http://www.wmrywesternlines.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Train_Junk_002%7E0.jpg
This one's for Gregg... note that a driveway has been added to the Shaw T.O. office...

http://www.wmrywesternlines.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Train_Junk_001%7E0.jpg
A better view of the bridge weathering.

http://www.wmrywesternlines.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Train_Junk_005.jpg
A second overview shot, with a better view of the waterfall.  Enjoy this view while you can.  Once the scenic divider goes up, I won't be able to shoot this angle anymore.

Regarding the line poles, I recall seeing many instances where the poles on either side of a river crossing are beefed up like that to avoid placing a pole in the middle, or adding brackets to the side of the bridge.  I simply spliced two Atlas poles together at the cross bars, and added some bracing.  I agree they need to be weathered a bit more, and I may put a little dot of gloss medium on each insulator to make them look more like the glass ones used by the WM.
Once again, your critique is welcomed...

Lee
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:50:05 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +65
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »
Lee, the shots are good but I have some suggestions.

1. After you paint your base scenery you may want to add sand or some other ground covering so that when you don't get 100% coverage with the green ground foams it looks more natural. The glossiness of the paint makes it stick out.

2. Dont know if you have got a chance to weather the bridge yet, or plan to, but I would paint the pier aged concrete and then weather it and the bridge with some rust

3. I would vacuum up the water surface and add another layer. The rocks look really cool on the side, but may look even better if some of them have the water a little closer their undersides.

Other than that, I think its looking pretty good! :)
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!