Author Topic: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions  (Read 5225 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »
0
Yeah, I meant to say 4-6-0.  Also think a 2-8-2 makes a great excurion engine.  Of course, I'm prejudice because of all those trips I worked as a car host on the Southern many years ago behind 4501.

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 07:47:09 AM »
0
I second Dave V's choice– a 2-8-0.

If I had to choose 1 locomotive that represented the entire steam era it would be that locomotive.

It's not too big, it's not too small.  It's just right.  :D

It could be found on just about every road in the country.   Many hanging on till the end of the steam era because of their versatility.