Author Topic: Athearn announces...  (Read 5522 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
0
With the general decline of the west economically, lower incomes and standards of living should give N scale a boost as available space to model shrinks. We huddle in our condos and forget what a basement was...

I'm not to sure about that..I've notice the popularity growth of small to medium size HO switching layouts and Lance Mindheim has four books that covers designing,building and operating a switching layout plus one on switching layout plans..

Time will tell..
Larry

Summerset Ry.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
0
I'm not to sure about that..I've notice the popularity growth of small to medium size HO switching layouts and Lance Mindheim has four books that covers designing,building and operating a switching layout plus one on switching layout plans..

Time will tell..

I look at what Tim Horton has accomplished in a condo sized bedroom and compare that to comparable layout in HO. Switching layout can only satisfy the need to run something for so long.

Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
0
Switching layout can only satisfy the need to run something for so long.
--------------------------
I Agree and will state it takes a certain breed of modeler to build and enjoy switching layouts but ,still,the interest and growth in switching layouts  is plainly  there.

I won't go into the whys and therefores because this is a N Scale forum and doing so would only raise a fuss but,I have learned several reasons behind the ISL growth in HO but,suffice to say N Scale still has myths and half truths surrounding it..

Larry

Summerset Ry.

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 11:08:18 PM »
0
Well, I see the old whining about the "lack of anything new that I want" is trying to take over. Well, I have a feeling nobody in any scale is gonna be ecsatatic about announcements for quite awhile. So warm up the band.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 12:03:11 AM »
0
With the general decline of the west economically, lower incomes and standards of living should give N scale a boost as available space to model shrinks. We huddle in our condos and forget what a basement was...

Hmmm.... N scale is really *HUGE*  in Japan, most likely due to the average small size of Japanese dwellings.    :D

The T (not TT) gauge was also developed in Japan. You can't get much smaller than that. :facepalm:

But I still think that in US, the majority of N scale modelers choose that gauge simply to get more layout than you can get with larger scales in the same space.
. . . 42 . . .

Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »
0
But I still think that in US, the majority of N scale modelers choose that gauge simply to get more layout than you can get with larger scales in the same space.
------------------------
Some times I think  N Scalers are made of a special breed of modeler that enjoys modeling in the wee scale. ;)

Sadly most HO guys I know would fully disagree with your assessment of more layout in the same space-their biggest cry is why have a large layout with models you can't see once you get older?
You know I never knew  N Scale was for younger modelers with good eyesight until  I was told that by several elderly HO modelers. :o
Larry

Summerset Ry.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
0
I agree with Peteski, N scale's North American (nod to there being just more than US modelers here) market is psychographically different than Japan's.  Whether it's a strike up the band moment or not, Athearn's disappointed.  It's a major, major player in HO and N scalers had hopes for the same in N, which is the second most popular market and worthy of considerable attention.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Van Horne

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 168
  • Respect: +24
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »
0
I look at what Tim Horton has accomplished in a condo sized bedroom and compare that to comparable layout in HO. Switching layout can only satisfy the need to run something for so long.

I had the priviledge of visiting Tim's layout in person last night, and I can concur that what he has accomplished in the space available is amazing.  He's got a long way to go, but with his extraordianry modeling skills and precise and methodical approach to executing a well thought out design, the result can be no less than spectacular.  Thanks, Tim!

Dave