Author Topic: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision  (Read 7179 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2026, 03:08:43 PM »
+1
I also have been busy building the last section of the benchwork: the return loop.  Here is where things stand right now.  I still need to build the loop part that goes into the middle of the room.  I decided that instead of a few legs to support the layout, a bookshelf would be more useful. Better still, I made it from extra scraps found in his garage.




My next couple of projects are:

- Attach the rest of the backdrop. This will be easier to do before the return loop gets in the way. We will have to make a hole for the breaker box in the Masonite backdrop somehow.

- Build the return loop that goes on top of the bookshelf.

- Build the curved benchwork in the corner. Right now, it's boxy in the picture. But the main line will be crossing that area at a diagonal angle.  I still need to decide exactly what that angle will be.

- Finish laying the cork roadbed in the yard. I've already started (no pictures yet), but I still have more to do.
Aaron Bearden

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2026, 05:50:34 PM »
+1
I finished constructing another building today. This started out as a Walther's brick yard storage building.  I'm not sure yet where it will go on the layout. It will probably be put in an out of the way spot and be covered in kudzu.





This was a good test for a well-used galvanized steel look.  I airbrushed a mixture of ~50% aluminum and ~50% sky gray plus a little bit of brown.  I then used these Vallejo paints to weather it.

Aaron Bearden

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8588
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2026, 10:28:31 PM »
0
Yes!  Bring on the kudzu!

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2026, 05:19:37 PM »
+1
I installed the next backdrop section.  The square is a removable section to access the breaker box behind it. The breaker hasn't had to be touched in 30 years, but you never know! We still need to do some paint touch-up.

Aaron Bearden

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2026, 01:28:09 AM »
+1
Layout construction continues.  First, I decided it would be a good idea to use the space behind the backdrop corners to store my friend's extensive railroad memorabilia collection.  So I built a hidden shelf to display some items. I'll eventually add shelves to the other three corners in the room.

We also decided to cover over the window. We aren't losing any good views (there is a garage wall three feet outside the window).  Doing that drastically improved the look of the room.  I also installed the last backdrop piece to the left just outside the picture. We ended the night by doing a little paint touch-up work. 

Aaron Bearden

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2026, 12:59:50 PM »
+2
Time for another update. After doing the metal building, I wasn't happy with it.  It was too brown when it should have been rusty.  So I redid the weathering.  This time, I used other rustier Vallejo colors.  I'm not sure I'm happy with this attempt either, but I'm moving on and can circle back to it later when it's time to use the building.





I've also done a lot of work on the layout.  Benchwork is now almost finished.

First, I cut the upper level piece to the right shape.



I also cut the grade.



But before that, I finished the benchwork for the curve underneath it (no in-process picture for that part). We ran out of our preferred lumber but we had some leftover 2x4s from the previous layout, ,so we used that instead.

Here is what this part of the layout looks like now.  The grade is in place (~2% over 9 feet of length).  The upper level is not screwed in place yet.  That will happen once the "tunnel" area track work is finished.



I have also installed shelves behind each of the other backdrop corners for more RR memorabilia display.  More backdrop screw holes and gaps have been spackled and given a first coat of paint.  And I've begun laying down cork. 

Coming soon is the wiring, which will be a whole new experience for me.
Aaron Bearden

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2026, 11:24:14 PM »
+4
Here's the latest progress. The facia is deliberately too tall in places and will be shaped later once the hills are in place.  Almost all of the cork road bed is down. After a year's construction, it'll be time to lay track soon.

Aaron Bearden

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2026, 11:37:29 PM »
+3
I've been having fun carving foam the past few weeks (and trimming the facia to match).  There's still much more to do, obviously, but it's nice to have a scene start to come together.

Aaron Bearden

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2026, 02:31:49 PM »
+3
Let there be light! And lots of it. This week, my friend had an electrician install lights all along the railroad. My phone dimmed my picture, but it's much brighter than it looks. Each LED light is 5k lumens.   :scared:   You can also see that I'm almost done trimming the facia.



I have also finalized the yard track plan. The receiving yard is on the right; the outbound yard is on the left. The foreground is the cab track and engine terminal. I also constructed a removable backdrop section to cover the window.  When the a/c needs replacing, we'll be able to take it down.



Up next is track laying!
Aaron Bearden

chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1375
Re: The HO Central of Georgia Backyard Subdivision
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2026, 12:48:29 AM »
+2
A few days later, and the track laying is 80% done.   Credit goes to mutual friend Danny Thomas, who drove several hours just to complete this. 

As of tonight, here is where things stand. The track is connected or soldered but not glued down yet.  In this photo, I'm standing in the entrance to the building, so this is what you will see when you first walk in the room.



The industry on the right will be a pulpwood yard.



Here will be a small town with a coal dump (not constructed yet) on the upper level.  To the left will be a depot with an LCL track, and a road will cut through to the backdrop.



On this side, there will be a grocery in the back right along with a crossover in the middle that will lead to a passing siding on the left on the lower level.



And this will be a small town industrial area along with an interchange track (top right).  There will be four or five industries.



And finally, the return loop.  This will be mostly woods and farm fields.

Aaron Bearden