Author Topic: Kingman Canyon 1953  (Read 4233 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6436
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4961
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
0
Glad your posting the pics Gordon,
In Gordon's defence he has a very large double decked layout that is hard to properly light.  For the n scale rairoading (issue 59) shoot there were 5 of us over there holding 5000 watts of lighting.... We all left with a tan.  I am pretty sure he took these shoots last night by himself just to through  some pics outhere.  I think the long ter' answer tho is multiple toto light fixtures.  Gordons main concentration is on operations and its one of the best operation layouts out there.  Lets see Ashfork!!

-Jason

Superturbine,  No need for defense, I was just hoping to see those great scenes even better!  I was not trying to offend.
John "Lemosteam" LeMerise

Nato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »
0
 :|               Gordon,This is wonderful work. Thanks for sharing. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

superturbine

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 909
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +62
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
0
No, no offence at all
Your point is exactly right.  We have both discussed the lighting in his pictures and on the layout.  I was just trying to explaning a difficulty in lighting his layout.  I always appreciate your post “Lemo“

jnevis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 760
  • Gender: Male
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 02:58:09 PM »
0
Seeing this kind of work ALMOST makes me re-think a modern era layout.  I love the look of silver passenger cars with Warbonnets or Zephyrs up front.  Superliners just aren't the same. 
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

superchief

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 346
  • Respect: +33
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 09:10:47 PM »
0
Thanks for the replies guys:



Gary, the whole scene for Kingman canyon is 30 feet long and 18 inches deep



Randy, across the facia are more modern prototype photos of the area and scenes like the high bridge that I took in 2002

and i almost forgot yes those are Burma Shave signs, Good Eye!!

Gordon/ Santa Fe-All the Way 1953
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:08:44 PM by superchief »

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 09:34:53 PM »
0
Awesome Gordon.  I love seeing context shots like that too.

-gfh

UP4-8-8-4

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 249
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +152
    • Present home layout and partial collection.
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »
0

    WOW !
Darn Gordon that double decker layout is fantistic -------------------------  :o
Great track & scenery work.
Great pics --------------------  8)





Ernie
4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

draskouasshat

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1009
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +755
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »
0
I like the double deck pic Gordon. It gives me perspective for what im doing on my cajon layout. Whats your deck spacing?
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

bdennis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 557
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
0
Gordon,
Do you have a layout blog or a trackplan somewhere.. Looking real nice..
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

superchief

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 346
  • Respect: +33
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 11:24:17 PM »
0
Drasko, the lower level benchwork is at 30" and the track is at 32"/ upper deck benchwork is at 52" and track at 54". the 2" difference is to allow for rivers/ ditches and to allow the scenery to go below track level......connected at both ends with a helix. Gordon

superchief

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 346
  • Respect: +33
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »
0
bdennis, the layout was in NSR #58 May/June 2010, little late tonight , I will see if I can scan the trackplan or atleast take a picuture of it tomorrow. gordon

bdennis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 557
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
0
Gordon,
Thanks for the update..
I would recomend doing a blog so people can keep tabs on your efforts... (if you have the time)
As an example.. Here are a few..
http://dh2ndsub.blogspot.com.au/
http://gulflines.blogspot.com.au/
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

Matt Noel

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Respect: 0
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
0
Ive Been there, I can say you captured the feeling well.

superchief

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 346
  • Respect: +33
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »
0
Matt, thanks for the comment. I have had a few people to the layout that have made the comment of have been there in front of the high bridge. For a modeler that is the highest form of compliment.

bdennis here is the layout diagram that I have on the back of the operators clipboards:



the lower level:



the lower staging yard(CHICAGO) was cut off the bottom

the upper deck:



the upper staging yard(LOS ANGELES) was cut off the bottom

sorry a photo was the best I could do, could not fiquire out how to scan it and post. Gordon :D

bdennis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 557
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: Kingman Canyon 1953
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 10:29:46 PM »
0
Very nice plan.. Thanks for the update.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division