Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/17/11  (Read 7276 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
0
Andy & or Tim is that diesel sound coming from 1 unit , 2 units , layout speakers , or dubbed in ?
Freight car sounds come from dubbing or layout speakers ?
Whatever it was perfect .


Richie Dost

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
0
My dad came over and helped me put up the hardboard for the backdrop. Unfortunately, we snapped two trying to cove them into the corner. Luckily, we know what we did wrong so we can correct this going forward,

Phil
- Phil

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
0
Richie:

Andy is the video guru so I will let him answer your question.  I can tell you that as much I as I would love to have sound and speakers in my RS-3s, I have yet to figure out how to do that . . . . we are glad you enjoyed it.


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
0
Andy & or Tim is that diesel sound coming from 1 unit , 2 units , layout speakers , or dubbed in ?
Freight car sounds come from dubbing or layout speakers ?
Whatever it was perfect .

The sound is pulled from railfan video footage I shot locally and in northern British Columbia.  I use Windows Movie maker to dub in real locomotive sounds over the model train footage.  I didn't have any Alco sounds but some of the modern GE units have a nice chug to them.   That worked in this case.

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4893
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
0
Update:

As of 5:30 PM, I am still without power.  I am currently at the opposite side of town to report this.

This is a half mile from my house:
http://photos.fayobserver.com/mycapture/enlargePopup.asp?image=35275391&event=1228588&CategoryID=1329&pSlideshow=1
A hundred yards from my house:
http://photos.fayobserver.com/mycapture/enlargePopup.asp?image=35277270&event=1228588&CategoryID=1329&pSlideshow=1


My property is to the left on the same side of the road as this photo was taken from about fifty feet:
http://photos.fayobserver.com/mycapture/enlargePopup.asp?image=35268012&event=1211017&CategoryID=1329&pSlideshow=1


http://fayobserver.com/video.aspx?path=/2011/04/0417tourofdamage

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011/04/17/1087410?sac=Home


I am going to have roomates for a while as I am allowing my friend Chris and his family to move in because their house is completely gone.
I like ducks



sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
0
Glad to hear you survived unscathed, Ian.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »
0
Took a break from learning how to build double crossovers to advance a couple of heavyweight passenger car projects.

 

The Pennsy 12-1 is the factory-issued Whittier, renamed to Samuel Adams which is more appropriate for my New England setting.  The MicroScale buff has more yellow/gold tint than the MTL printing, but I'll blend it in with weathering later.  The parlor Maude was assigned to the New Haven.  Both cars now have American Limited diaphragms and the couplers have been moved back.  Brown 1015s for the Pennsy car.  BLMA wheelsets.  I removed the blank molded-in shapes that represented the roof vents and fans.

 

The new vents were taken from the MTL heavyweight R.P.O. roof, two for the 12-1 and six for the parlor.  The new fans for the parlor will be etched parts.  Still have to revamp the underframe parts for ice-cooled air conditioning.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »
0
Update:

As of 5:30 PM, I am still without power.  I am currently at the opposite side of town to report this.

This is a half mile from my house:
http://photos.fayobserver.com/mycapture/enlargePopup.asp?image=35275391&event=1228588&CategoryID=1329&pSlideshow=1
A hundred yards from my house:
http://photos.fayobserver.com/mycapture/enlargePopup.asp?image=35277270&event=1228588&CategoryID=1329&pSlideshow=1


My property is to the left on the same side of the road as this photo was taken from about fifty feet:
http://photos.fayobserver.com/mycapture/enlargePopup.asp?image=35268012&event=1211017&CategoryID=1329&pSlideshow=1


http://fayobserver.com/video.aspx?path=/2011/04/0417tourofdamage

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011/04/17/1087410?sac=Home


I am going to have roomates for a while as I am allowing my friend Chris and his family to move in because their house is completely gone.

That's very generous of you , hopefully your friend will never feel the need to return the favor .



Richie Dost

noblerot

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Southern Tier in N scale, NYSW Conrail LASB NJT
  • Respect: 0
    • Picassa Albums
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 01:05:10 AM »
0

Put decals on some flats


Alan Jannone
Shohola PA

nscalemike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 400
  • Respect: +13
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 06:11:13 AM »
0
Lots of great work on here, as always.  Very impressive.  Iain, very sorry to hear about your weather situation, incredible pictures, and I'll second the generosity of you to your friend.  Our ability and willingness to help one another in their times of need is what keeps us moving in the right direction!  My thoughts are with you and all those affected by the storms and wishing a speedy recovery.

As for my project this week, a recent trip to my LHS and the purchase of 6 more turnouts has allowed me to just about complete my yard.  I just have to finish my engine tracks and a RIP track.  I'll try and get some photos up when I wake up later today.

Also, I made it to Decatur (IL) for their train show.  First time I've been to one in a while, and had a free afternoon to myself on Saturday so I made the short drive to check it out.  Turned out to be worth my while as I picked up two CN locos and a boxcar.  Again, I hope to have some photos up in a few hours.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 07:20:41 AM »
0
More progress on the engine terminal...  put up some lights I had laying around, and did a little night photo shoot...










Next we'll be putting some LED's in the roundhouse, but that'll be a while as there remain some structural details that need to be addressed.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11611
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 09:44:29 AM »
0
Lee, that's looking awesome.

I actually had a pretty productive weekend. I cleaned Peach Creek out of C55 flex, since they're going out of business, and their discounted price was below MBK's case price. That inspired me...

I got the styrofoam shaved down on the last section of the NCR Shelf, including Interstate 83. Then I covered it all in lightweight drywall compound. This smooths out the styrofoam, and allows me to, essentially, do "hardshell" on foam.

I also worked up a mounting for the slide switches that will control the turnouts. I was having a hard time figuring out how to mount these when you're working in foam. I needed something to go under the headblocks that would allow me to create a nice solid mounting. I was having a hard time finding something fitting around the house until I saw the stack of Atlas freight car boxes. They're made out of a plastic that's nice and sturdy. A couple minutes with the razor saw and I had two mounting pieces. A few more minutes with the drill and files and they were ready. I'll be swinging by the electronics place tonight to get some better wire for the switches, and I should be able to say that "electrical has officially begun".

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4893
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »
0
Another minor update:  my place of employment is intact, but inaccessible to anyone other than residents.  So, for the near future I am effectively unemployed.
I like ducks



nscalemike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 400
  • Respect: +13
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
0
Here are some photos:


Intermountain SD 45T-2


Atlas C-630

The Atlas came decoder equipped and I put a Digitrax decoder in the Intermountain, so they are both ready to go.  The C-630 is a little outdated for my layout, since it will set sometime between 2005 and today I think, but it's so hard to find CN stuff I couldn't pass it up.  I suppose in my mind I can give it a good weathering job and pretend one is hanging around a bit longer than the rest!


A not very good picture of my entire CN and related fleet to date (never mind that yellow in the background!)





The first pic is the left side of the yard.  The main is on the far left, followed by a passing track, and arrival track. It has 6 body tracks,double ended. There is a runaround track that leads to the engine tracks and a RIP track.  Both of those need finished still. 

Let me know any thoughts or suggestions!
Mike

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: Weekend Update 4/17/11
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
0
Had to study for an insurance exam over the weekend so no modeling.

The HO Club I belong to has it's lease running out on 12/31.  The landlord is asking for a significant increase (surprise, surprise) for a less than adequate space.  The club has been there for 39 years, and is now looking for new space....just in case we can't come to an agreement.  I've been tasked with coming up with a trackplan for the likely location (next door).

It's twice the size, fully carpeted, acoustice ceiling, has a built in meeting/workshop.  There's so much space I'm almost at a loss on where to begin (and I keep thinking in N scale)! 
~ Matt

Modutrak.com